Ailments in eyes of Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Big Cheese

Reaction score
We are having problems with some of our cattle's eyes. They are watering really bad and it looks alot like pinkeye but during this time of year I don't know if its pinkeye or not because our solid black heifers in our heifer pen are getting it as well. My question is are there any other eye ailments in cattle besides just pinkeye? This will just give me a better understanding of what it could possibly be if its not pinkeye.

Worst pinkeye outbreak I've experienced was in winter. I think they were passing itat the hay ring, as well as scratching there eyes tearing at some tight hay rolls.

I've had pinkeye spread in the winter as well, and for the reasons Bigfoot mentioned... Once we eliminated it it was gone forever.

It has rained so much here over the last 2 weeks that at this point we can't use our corral until the mud and water dry up but what do yall use to get rid of pinkeye? Will it go away on its own?

Bigfoot":np1u3ve1 said:
Worst pinkeye outbreak I've experienced was in winter. I think they were passing itat the hay ring, as well as scratching there eyes tearing at some tight hay rolls.

We had an old timer tell us it could just be that they are getting seeds in their eyes and it is causing them to have these symptoms. But we are having a few get a white growth on their eye so it is just confusing to me. We have never had this since we got into using Longhorns a few years ago.

Big Cheese":3jq3izr4 said:
It has rained so much here over the last 2 weeks that at this point we can't use our corral until the mud and water dry up but what do yall use to get rid of pinkeye? Will it go away on its own?
Draxxin or LA300 plus I flush it with Vetericyn. If it's advanced you may want to sew the eye shut or put on a patch.

I had a real train wreck with pinkeye last year in one of my herds. 15 of 20 Black angus ended up contracting the disease. Best advice I could give would be LA 300 and then spray their eye with one of the sprays made for it, and separate them from the rest of your herd. I did not do a good job of quarantining the sick animals and I think it made my experience a lot worse than it could have been.

TCRanch":z0l4ilh0 said:
Big Cheese":z0l4ilh0 said:
Draxxin or LA300 plus I flush it with Vetericyn. If it's advanced you may want to sew the eye shut or put on a patch.

If you see a white spot it's getting pretty serious. IMO He said something about a growth, I've never seen this, cancer eye?

True Grit Farms":1iitpnww said:
Bigfoot":1iitpnww said:
I've seen em get stems on their eye during a pinkeye infection.

Bigfoot what is a stems? And what does it look like? Thanks

Raised knot I guess. Like the cornia is puffed out.

True Grit Farms":2khirjte said:
TCRanch":2khirjte said:
Big Cheese":2khirjte said:

If you see a white spot it's getting pretty serious. IMO He said something about a growth, I've never seen this, cancer eye?
Early stages of cancer eye in the pic. Vet removed the 3rd eyelid from both eyes and she's good to go, no swollen lymph nodes.

The white spot on the eye from either pinkeye or an abrasion is generally treatable if caught fairly early and usually clears up. If it's at an advanced stage the cow may end up with a cloudy eye & possibly partial vision.

Bigfoot":2ddxmr74 said:
True Grit Farms":2ddxmr74 said:
Bigfoot":2ddxmr74 said:
I've seen em get stems on their eye during a pinkeye infection.

A few have this. We got them up Friday and gave all the ones that were showing signs of it LA200 and sprayed some spray in their eyes. We had one that had it really bad in both eyes so she was blind and after working them one eye has cleared up and as of yesterday the other eye was on its way to recovery and she can see again. So I'm guessing its just pink eye but i don't understand why we got it so bad all at once. We had never had any pink eye until last summer. I'm hoping we got it under control now.

Big Cheese":2ut0xe1a said:
Bigfoot":2ut0xe1a said:
True Grit Farms":2ut0xe1a said:

A few have this. We got them up Friday and gave all the ones that were showing signs of it LA200 and sprayed some spray in their eyes. We had one that had it really bad in both eyes so she was blind and after working them one eye has cleared up and as of yesterday the other eye was on its way to recovery and she can see again. So I'm guessing its just pink eye but i don't understand why we got it so bad all at once. We had never had any pink eye until last summer. I'm hoping we got it under control now.

Sounds good, easy fix.

Latest posts