ailing bull calf

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We have four healthy calves and one bull calf that just showed signs of infection yesterday. He was born May 26 and his momma wouldn't nurse him.<br>We kept him overnight in a VariKennel and fed him milk replacement plus half'n'half, and dried him off and kept him warm.<br>There were NO SIGNS of any problems until yesterday when we noticed that the umbilical cord/navel area was red and swollen and it looked like the cord was back again.<br>Today I looked at him through the binoculars ... the calves are all in a pasture with the herd and we can't get really close to the babies ...<br>now it looks like his penis is swollen and the lower half is BLACK! Is there any hope for "Spot"? Should we try to catch and help himm?<br>He seems to be in some pain and trying to lick the affected area.<br>If we can't help him, is he a candidate for the butcher or would his meat ... what there is of it ... be edible?<p>Any advice will be appreciated. E-mail me at:<br>[email protected]<p>Thank you all so much.
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

(User Above)":38dusr25 said:
: We have four healthy calves and one bull calf that just showed signs of infection yesterday. He was born May 26 and his momma wouldn't nurse him.<br>: We kept him overnight in a VariKennel and fed him milk replacement plus half'n'half, and dried him off and kept him warm.<br>: There were NO SIGNS of any problems until yesterday when we noticed that the umbilical cord/navel area was red and swollen and it looked like the cord was back again.<br>: Today I looked at him through the binoculars ... the calves are all in a pasture with the herd and we can't get really close to the babies ...<br>: now it looks like his penis is swollen and the lower half is BLACK! Is there any hope for "Spot"? Should we try to catch and help himm?<br>: He seems to be in some pain and trying to lick the affected area.<br>: If we can't help him, is he a candidate for the butcher or would his meat ... what there is of it ... be edible?<p>: Any advice will be appreciated. E-mail me at:<br>: [email protected]<p>: Thank you all so much.<p>P.S. to my earlier message asking advice/help.<br>His momma accepted "Spot" the day after he was born, and he began nursing on her.<br>Now she seems NOT to let him nurse and he is sneaking in on the other momma heifers and "stealing" milk.<br>
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

Latest posts