AI

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hey I was wondering how many of you have your AI certificate? I am planning on getting mine here in january because we are goign to be AI 600 and some cows this spring which is a lot of work for my dad to be doing on his own. But I was wondering if any of you found it hard? What kinda tips can you give me? I am actually kinda nervous that I won't be able to do it.

Other then the timing, the most important things are semen handling techniques, technician skill, and attitude. If you are comfortable around cows you will have a higher success rate. I got my certificate in I think it was 1980. The school was very arduous and we spent most of the time in cows. Even with 8 to 0 hours a day for 5 days a couple of people in the class just couldn't do it. The three day schools are ok if you are going out immediately and start breeding cows. You just can't get enough experience in 3 days. If you get the choice, breed older cows at first, ones that have had several calves. The are generally so easy to breed that you confidence will soar.

dunmovin farms

> Hey I was wondering how many of
> you have your AI certificate? I am
> planning on getting mine here in
> january because we are goign to be
> AI 600 and some cows this spring
> which is a lot of work for my dad
> to be doing on his own. But I was
> wondering if any of you found it
> hard? What kinda tips can you give
> me? I am actually kinda nervous
> that I won't be able to do it.