AI Timing using secondary signs

Help Support CattleToday:

RAWCJW

Reaction score
Were new to the forum, but have been reading your articles and have learned alot. Thank You. Here is our problem... We have a five year old Highland cow, A year old heifer, and a year old steer. We are trying to AI our cow. The heifer and steer do not act interested in riding her. We bred her once, but we think our timing is off. On friday(3:00p.m.) and Saturday she has mucas out her vulva. Saturday evening she walks the fences, Sunday morning at 7:30 we bred her. At 9:30 a.m she tried riding the steer. and walks the fences all day, and still shows mucas. Monday she is back to normal activities. Tuesday morning at 5:30 we find blood. 21 days later we bred her at the exact same time and she had the exact same signs on the same days. Are we breeding to early?? Next year we are hoping our heifer will be mature enough to ride her. We need help this year PLEASE!!!

I would say that you're breeding too early, but the texture/consitancy of the mucus is the best key. If it's very runny it's too early if it's more viscous and hasn;t taken on a white tint that's probably the best time. Red mucus indicates that she was in heat and ovulated. It has nothing to do with if she's been bred or not.

dun

One of our cows walks the fence and she was always jumping the other cows. This seemed to be her pattern instead of seeing a standing heat. We had someone else AI so it was always about 12 hours afterwards that the tech came...(next day). 3 out of 4 breedings took and the one that didn't was only 2 weeks after calving..so thought it was to early. Good luck! donna

hmm,without something riding her it is hard to detect the onset of standing heat and that is your key to a correct breeding time. By your post I would have bred her sun. night and again mon. morning. If you breed them and they come out ridin others pretty good sign you were way early.

It's pretty hard to time if she's not being ridden. Somewhere I read that if she is still showing signs of heat 12 hours after AI'ing then you were too early. It varies between cows, on two of my cows I AI 6 hours after standing heat and they take, if I wait 12 hours it's too late.

Bobg

Whn I was doing custom AI as a business, most of my clients only had one cow. I used the mucus color and texture and still ran well over 75% first service conception. But I'ld skip breeding a cow that appeared to be too late to breed

dun

I would have probably bred her saturday morning and again that evening. Better to be early than too late.

dun":zhfwnjiy said:
I would say that you're breeding too early, but the texture/consitancy of the mucus is the best key. If it's very runny it's too early if it's more viscous and hasn;t taken on a white tint that's probably the best time. Red mucus indicates that she was in heat and ovulated. It has nothing to do with if she's been bred or not.

dun

dun this is what your refering to? Is this a sure sign of heat cycle?
estrusmucus.jpg

dj":225mfxlz said:
dun":225mfxlz said:

dun

dun this is what your refering to? Is this a sure sign of heat cycle?
estrusmucus.jpg

That's it, as long as it hasn;t taken on a whitish hue when it's fresh.

dun

Thanks everyone for the advice.She will be in again the weekend of christmas if she isn,t bred (were hoping). I,m not going to have the AI tech come over on christmas, so we will watch her close and if she comes in maybe I can post some pict of different stages of the mucus for (dun) to look at.Last time we bred her on saturday 4:30 pm and sunday 7:30 am she had thicker,more mucus on sunday.The tech said cervix was wide open both times.How long does it stay open?The tech could not come over on sunday night .I thought monday morning might be to late.Seems like we are wasting time and money on this but we sure are learning alot. Thanks again

Latest posts