ai tanks

Help Support CattleToday:

jt

Reaction score
some have commented that these tanks go bad over time... what happens to them? and what does one look for if buying a used one?

thanks

jt

jt":3ej7uk2q said:
some have commented that these tanks go bad over time... what happens to them? and what does one look for if buying a used one?

thanks

jt

The most common failure is they don't hold the nitrogen as long. It's a symptom of loss of vacuum. If you own one, you need to keep an eye on how fast the nitrogen level drops so you have some warning before it gets low and you lose the contents before the next fill-up. Rough handling accelerates leakage, so any visible signs of it would be a no go for me. I suspect there is no way for us to know whether a tank is good or not without filling it and waiting.

how long is the norm between recharging with nitrogen?

jt

jt":2mr9r036 said:

jt

Depends on the volume of the tank in nitrogen, the neck opening size and the use. Ours is middle of the road tank and we refill it every 3 1/2 to 4 months, costs 15-20 bucks per fill. My old tank would hold for 7 months, but it had such a tiny neck opening that it was a real pain to work with. If you look at the NASCO site they should have "nitrogen refrigerators" and the data for the various ones they handle.

dun

dun":a1k1v5sx said:
jt":a1k1v5sx said:

jt

Depends on the volume of the tank in nitrogen, the neck opening size and the use. Ours is middle of the road tank and we refill it every 3 1/2 to 4 months, costs 15-20 bucks per fill. My old tank would hold for 7 months, but it had such a tiny neck opening that it was a real pain to work with. If you look at the NASCO site they should have "nitrogen refrigerators" and the data for the various ones they handle.

dun

wow.. i only know of one person in my area that has a tank... havent seen it, and didnt know some ran down faster than others... but he has his checked every 3 months and it cost him $45.

dont know who it is with, but sounds like he could do better??

i hear him talking about it every now and then, but just thought that was the norm until i learned better on these boards.

thanks

jt

Dun,
I'm also looking to buy a tank could you recommend one, like a model from Nasco I would be breeding approximately 20 – 30 head per year.
What would be a good storage time? Opening? Ect.
Thanks Steve

sca10010":3vtsqe3a said:
Dun,
I'm also looking to buy a tank could you recommend one, like a model from Nasco I would be breeding approximately 20 – 30 head per year.
What would be a good storage time? Opening? Ect.
Thanks Steve

Just my preferences:

2 inch neck opening, 20-25 liters of LN2, 6 canisters
A samller neck opening is a real pain, and even though they will hold longer and hold more canisters, each canister is so small you can't get more then two canes in each one. Well really you can, but trying to get them in and out of the canister is a real art (magic).
A working time of 120 days on up will put you in the 3 1/2 -4 month refill time. It depends on your nitrogen (semen) supplier as to cost and when he is in your area on the regular route.
Our old pain in the butt tank held for almost 8 months working, but it was very heavy, well over 100 lbs full. I'm sure the equivelent tank would be lighter today because of inproments to insulation and shell material, it was stainless, the newer ones are aluminum.
A question for the folks that are thinking on buying a tank to get started. Have you checked with your local vet, dairy, neighbor about renting storage space in their tanks. We used to charge 5 bucks a year per canister if I remember correctly. At one time we also ran a storage co-op that all members paid an equal percentage of the purchase and the yearly nitrogen fees.
Just thoughts

dun

Macon thanks I'll check it out.

Dun, Thanks for the info never would have thought about opening size.
Steve

I keep forgetting to mention the problem with tanks that have been banged around, tipped on their sides, dropped, etc., is the union between the flask and the neck cracks and allows nitrogen vapors to leak between the flask and the shell. You usually can;t see it but the outside of the tank will get ice spots on the shell.

dun

We purchased a used nitrogen tank for $25.00. Called to have it filled and he did a quick check on it and said that it was not good. He tapped his pliers on the side of it and there was just a thud it should have a ring like if you hit the lid. That is the way the good tanks that he had with him sounded like.

Latest posts