AI synch and vaccinations ??

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
Tomorrow, we are starting synchronization for AI. We have some cows that I'm not sure have ever been vaccinated, so I'm going on the premise they haven't, and will do that and ear tags tomorrow, also. Will be using killed virus, because the 2nd round of shots will happen after breeding. Anything wrong with that plan?

We have been told to expect lower conception rates. We have always vaccinated AT LEAST 30 days prior to vaccinating. We saw for ourselves last year the results after we vaccinated; all cattle panting and under the cedars, obviously they had a fever.
When we vaccinate our children, it is the same thing. Give them tylenol to head off any fever from the vaccines.
Around this area, people typically vaccinate in October, then start AI the last week of November (thus giving us September calves).

We vaccinate our heifers when we put CDIR's in and get about 60% to stick the 1st round but that's without a booster. If you need to booster though you're adding extra stress so soon after breeding. Any chance you can do 1st round of vac now and start sync protocol at booster in like 2 weeks maybe?

Ohrmundt Simmentals":uyyx91x2 said:
We vaccinate our heifers when we put CDIR's in and get about 60% to stick the 1st round but that's without a booster. If you need to booster though you're adding extra stress so soon after breeding. Any chance you can do 1st round of vac now and start sync protocol at booster in like 2 weeks maybe?
Yeah, I suppose we could, but that puts us further behind. We have a guy that comes out and does our AI stuff; we aren't smart enough on that yet. I hate it when the best laid plans just seem to go to he11. Was hoping we could knock off a couple things in one swoop and just get it done. We would have to booster in a month, after AI.

These are all pretty quiet cattle; not all pet-gentle, but no high-headers/crazy ones.

Get them bred then vaccinate in ,60 days if your using killed and i think you will be fine i wouldnt at sync time at all not worth the chance

Open to all suggestions that let us start the AI process ASAP. We are using killed virus vaccinations. This is the first year we've had a chute set up and can do everything. And we want to do everything.

bse":v7mllp7a said:
Get them bred then vaccinate in ,60 days if your using killed and i think you will be fine i wouldnt at sync time at all not worth the chance

X2

Also you may know this already, but you can call the vaccine manufactors, I believe all of them always have a vet on staff (during business hours) you can ask such questions. I have found them very helpful in the past.

I should have started this post 4 weeks ago! Tomorrow is the "go" day. Figured we were okay as long as we didn't have live/modified live vacc. Thanks for all the input, and please keep it coming. Yes, we can do no vaccinations with cows tomorrow, and do it later. Have a call in to my vet, who is not the best about returning calls.

We did NOT vacc the cows today. Later . . . . Vacc'd all calves and Tet for the boys that will banded next weekend. Cows implanted; ear tags and pour-on wormer for the whole bunch. Rain was in the forecast, but only had a sprinkle. The only real snafoo was a 400 lb. heifer calf that disengaged the alley from the chute by about a foot! Tied it up w/ ropes before the cows came through. CHAINS COMING! I'm thankful for good neighbors and friends that came out to help. And WOW DO WE LOVE THE NEW CATTLE HANDLING SYSTEM! This is the first time we've used it to run the whole bunch through. It was awesome. One of the helpers that has just moved onto new property w/out a chute brought a bull calf out to knife castrate, and it was easy in to the chute, worked great, and easy out for him to re-load. We sorted calves from cows ahead of time, and messed with the babies first. Can run them a couple at a time, so they don't pile up; then adjusted the alleys and did same w/ the cows.

Latest posts