AI success %

Help Support CattleToday:

Flacowman

Reaction score
What's your success rate with cows taking on the first round? I know around 65% is an accepted standard but everyone varies. I guess I'm just nosy. :D

Thise year between syncing some and natural heats we finally got back to 80%

I'll take the low part of the curve - to make myself feel better though, I'm trying to push calving up some so that makes it harder. I get almost all of them on natural heats but only about 30% on sync heats so I'm around that 50-60% mark since I'm pushing them and syncing so many.

Last year my % was terrible at around 30%. This year I believe I will see vast improvement. Based off what I am seeing after heat patching and turning the bull in a about 35 days after I bred them I think I may be around 70% on synched heats. I wanted to see what my success rate was after working a few days with a local AI tech. I patched my cows after a month or so and turned my bull in for clean up. I left the patches on for 2 cycles to elapse. Roughly 30% or so showed significant rubbing on the patches so I am hoping that my success rate is that good. We will know for sure come calving time this spring.

I did two (cow and heifer) for a co-worker and both stuck. I felt good about that being it was on somebody elses cows and I didn't want them to throw away money on the meds, CIDR's and semen due to my ineptness. I am new to A.I. so everyday in the chute is a learning experience.

HOSS":13gg942n said:
I am new to A.I. so everyday in the chute is a learning experience.
I've been at it for 30 plus years and it's still a learning experience

I've mentioned before that my wife breeds all our cows. Back when we dairied I figure she probably got 85-90% on first service even in hot weather. That was on about 700 head per year. With our little beef cow operation she may have had to breed 4-5 cows more than once and two of those ended up being culled for not breeding even with natural service. We don't synch any but just heat watch adn breed accordingly. Sometimes you're doing it at some "not so convenient" hours of the nite as well. Don't want to hurt Cow Pollinator's feelings but I think this is one of those things that we guys just have to admit that ladies do better than most of us. That and raising calves (and children). :lol2:

TexasBred":p1wxopi4 said:
. Don't want to hurt Cow Pollinator's feelings :lol2:

I've got so much scar tissue in my arm I don't have feelings there anymore. :cry2: I'm going to tell my wife she's better at it than me and send her out the door in the morning. :nod: we'll see what happens. :D
A.I. is like welding. Lots of people can stick two peices of metal together but a handfull have a real knack for it and they are the ones that flourish as welders.
As a professional insemenater, however, I'll be the first to tell you that getting a cow pregnant is ninety percent management and less than ten percent breeder skill as long as they get the semen somewhere in the right vicinity. Any discussion about conception rates is incomplete without a discussion about the herds management as well. All I can do for a customer is dump some semen in the right spot, the rest is up to the cow and whatever resources she has at her disposal.

Interesting . . . I can't weld either . . .

If I can find a wife who knows how to weld, do you suppose she'll be able to inseminate?

angus9259":1fvp7ryq said:

If I can find a wife who knows how to weld, do you suppose she'll be able to inseminate?

In both cases, I think the position is very important, so you need to be more specific.

angus9259":24ij39i0 said:

Interesting. I thought when you found a wife the inseminating was "your" job. ;-)

Latest posts