AI sire pics

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Going to breed my heifers to:
1. Comrade
2. Black Granite
3. Hoover Dam
4. Answer 71
This is my first year of AI and first year breeding registered heifers. I have a trusted AI tech.. but was wanting to know if anyone has pictures of weaned calves/replacement heifers/breeding bull sons from any of these sires?

Next year, will see how calves do from these sires, but would also love to breed them to Bruiser or Substantial. Cleaning up with an Absolute son, otherwise I'd be using Absolute as well. I've found a few pics of Bruiser sons, but they have been babies. Saw a handful of Substantial sons in person (thick tanks)

Thanks in advance.

I don't have any pictures but have seen calves from first 3 sires. I've used those 3 as well. Black granites are good, moderate docile and grow decently. Comrade come easy and grow some. I love Hoover dam, use him as much as we can each year in our commercial herd. Purebred we are using his son Niagara heavy and going to sample his grandson baldridge command. HD calves are thick, grow good, docile. Females are beautiful uddered , good mommas for us.

Appreciate it Warrior. My thoughts on Comrade were that he supposedly settled heifers well. Am real excited about HD calves as one of my future bull buyers needs to add some rib to cattle but doesn't want real heavy milkers.

Anyone else have specific feedback because they've used these sires?

L&FAngusAcres":8ykcs5m8 said:
Appreciate it Warrior. My thoughts on Comrade were that he supposedly settled heifers well. Am real excited about HD calves as one of my future bull buyers needs to add some rib to cattle but doesn't want real heavy milkers.

Anyone else have specific feedback because they've used these sires?

Have used Comrade extensively the past 2 seasons and very happy with calves. Come out small and grow well. Very hardy (knock wood). I posted some pics on an earlier thread of our spring Comrade calves. They were only a few months old then. If I get a chance will update them.
Sold a few of last years' as replacement heifers and I think everyone is pleased with them

We bred 7 heifers to Bruiser last year and got 5 calves. Commercial cows, so we didn't weigh the calves, but I would be shocked if any of them were over 70 or so pounds. They came easy, came early, and had lots of vigor. The bruiser heifers are going to wean around 600 and the bulls around 700. Definitely going to use him again

Here are a couple bruiser sons that I left intact. They're around 11 mos old in the pic.

This is a daughter that I really liked.

This picture is from July 28th of one of our bruiser heifers being raised by a first calf heifer. No creep feed. As you can see, the performance is definitely there

We saw Black Granite when we visited AI studs in August. He had a block on his left front hoof when we saw him

for what its worth I didn't order any semen on him.

We also saw Abundance and again for what its worth semen is ordered on him.

gizmom

Thanks, I have high hopes for anything I'm lucky to get bred to Comrade. Thought about using only him to breed them all this first round.

GN+":3o4vx7n7 said:
We bred 7 heifers to Bruiser last year and got 5 calves. Commercial cows, so we didn't weigh the calves, but I would be shocked if any of them were over 70 or so pounds. They came easy, came early, and had lots of vigor. The bruiser heifers are going to wean around 600 and the bulls around 700. Definitely going to use him again

Good to hear. Dispositions are good? Heard mixed opinions about Bruiser.

gizmom":364i8u1t said:
We saw Black Granite when we visited AI studs in August. He had a block on his left front hoof when we saw him

for what its worth I didn't order any semen on him.

We also saw Abundance and again for what its worth semen is ordered on him.

gizmom

Gizmom: Who sells Abundance? Good all around bull? Or is he recommended if trying to improve a few certain aspects?

L&F

I will be honest the last thing I look at when selecting a bull is the numbers. I choose bulls on genetics and phenotype then numbers. That being said his numbers aren't bad. He has a big and I am talking really big hip and plenty of depth of body. Abundance is young but after seeing him I just had to use him. He is mighty good.

http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php?action=DETAIL&code=1AN01408&lang=EN

Gizmom

We saw Sensation breeding a group of heifers at Schaff he is really an exceptional young bull and I would like to use him. I love his pedigree basically he has 4136 on the bottom and Madame pride 0075 on top of his pedigree in my opinion two of the top cows in the Schaff herd. So for me he hits with pedigree, phenotype and his EPD aren't bad. My only problem is getting the semen ordered I need to get my butt in gear.

Gizmom

L&FAngusAcres":1q4q09so said:
GN+":1q4q09so said:

Good to hear. Dispositions are good? Heard mixed opinions about Bruiser.

All of ours are very gentle. However, I have been around just a few that were kind of alert. Not crazy but knew you were there. Maybe not a bull to fix a bad one, but should be fine on a decent tempered one

Got them AI'd last night. Now my next question.

Anyone have any idea on average gestation length for these bulls? I found somewhere that Comrade was -7.7 days. I'd imagine they all have slightly shorter lengths due to being LBW.

Comrade: -7.7 days
Black Granite: ?
Hoover Dam: ?
Answer 71: ?

One of these days I'll get some pictures of the the heifers up here. They have Frontman, 7229, Thunder, and an old bull... Summitcrest Discovery blood in them.

Any more info on gestation lengths? That'd be great information for sire selection, imo.

Also, wasn't Black Granite with Select? Did he pass/stop producing?

I don't have any individual data, but my theory always was when breeding to an angus bull, be ready for a calf at 270 days. Especially a Calving ease bull

Personal experience, Hoover Dam apparently didn't click with our cattle.

Came small and a few days earlier than average, but just didn't have the growth other low birth wt bulls are getting.

Just my 2cents. I tried him because of good reviews, hopefully you have better success.

We used Bruiser several years ago and retained heifers out of him. They are having their first calves this spring and so far, so good. We were concerned about his milk EPD so we'll so how they raise their offspring. We have not had any docility issues at all. The steers we sold of his were little meat wagons. In our area of Texas, we need efficiency in our feed inputs (obviously everyone does) so his $EN and DMI, RADG were all impressive to us.

Latest posts