AI School

Help Support CattleToday:

FCC478

Reaction score
I just signed my son up for a AI school next month. I'm sure the schools may vary some, but I was wondering what some of you that have taken the training think.Did it prepare you to get started?

Yes, it is a good first step. I went to a three day one. First day you do mostly class room, discuss cattle cycles, parts ect. and we practiced on repro tracts. second and third day was mostly hands on, err in, training. We had a lot of cows to practice on and several instructors so there was a lot of one on one time. To be quite honest, just after the class I wasn't too sure if I would get the hang of it. I passed several ai rods in class, but things just didn't click, yet. This class was a month before we started the ai season on our herd. When I bred my first "for real" cow I was like??? the second, ok this seems kinda right. After a few, things did start to kinda line up, but it took a while, and I'm still not perfect by any means. But I take my time (much to the dismay of my cows :x ) but am getting pretty good. The worst thing for beef AI'ers is you breed for a month or so, then nothing for another year usually. To combat this I volunteer to do the AI for some of my parents dairy cows from time to time (I don't tell them i'm doing it for the practice though :) )
So, tell him to take the class, come home practice practice, and things will line up sooner or later. This is a skill he will never regret learning in my opinion.
Jenna

Thanks Jenna, I will tell him. There's really no one in our area that's doing it (that we know of) so maybe he can get some extra practice.

its like Jenna said but i think you have to have your mind in it my first day of hands on school i did pretty good thinking this aint nothing then the second day i didnt hit a one because i wanted to be cutting hay. 3 weeks later was breeding my own got 1 out of 10 but have stayed with it for 5 yrs now and doing pretty good, like the saying practice makes perfect or in this case practice makes better.

Just finished day 2 of a 3 day class here in Maysville, Ky. Today, we did a group of 8 cows in the morning and another group of 8 cows in the evening. Tomorrow we will do hands on again and start using semen in the guns rather than just dry runs. There are 8 in the class. Everyone is doing very well. Finding the cervix and getting it over the end of the gun. Not really hard to do. The cows become more difficult as they get aired up and stressed. Cows were not too bad. They sure take a beating. The other students were nice guys about half my age. Tough to see the cows all bleeding from so much activity in their rectovaginal area. Can't help but to dampen your enthusiasm.

Inyati, it doesn't take much for them to bleed. Try turning your ob gloves inside out. Puts the gloves seam on your arm instead of their rectal wall.

hooknline":1s20zuis said:
Inyati, it doesn't take much for them to bleed. Try turning your ob gloves inside out. Puts the gloves seam on your arm instead of their rectal wall.

Thanks, Hook. I will be happy to use that suggestion particularly when breeding my own.

Try turning your ob gloves inside out. Puts the gloves seam on your arm instead of their rectal wall.

If you can find these, try them. They fit 100% better than regular ai/ob gloves kinda conforming to your hand (I have small hands, but they will work for everyone fine) and they have no sharp seam. They are available through many of the AI companies or through nasco ect. Another thing I do sometimes is put a tighter fitting nitrile/latex wrist length exam glove over the AI glove, works great, just be sure you don't get ones with the "grips" on the fingers- you dont want added friction/grip in this case. I hate the reg ai gloves, mostly just because they dont fit my hand, and they are super sharp seams if you dont turn inside out, try these though, you guys will lke em, and the cows will love them :)
http://www.enasco.com/product/C29336N

Those are the ones i use. I also use a rubber surgical glove. But I put the rubber glove on first, tear the fingers off the ob glove and then put that on. Gives me a better sense of feel I think

Latest posts