AI School

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I just finished up the second day of AI School (KSU). And I think I'm getting the hang of it, really not that hard once you figure out what you're looking (feeling) for in there.

Quite interesting how thoughts are changing on certain aspects of AI, such as the methods of thawing semen. We're being to trained to do "in cow thaw" as well as the traditional "warm water thaw", seems that "in cow thaw" results in identical conception rates and eliminates the risk of cold shocking the semen.

Ann B

[email protected]

After awhile you will find that semen put up by different studs will still generate slightly different conception rates depending on the thaw method. But that could be as much a confidence thing as anything else. Although alot is mentioned about cold shock we've never had it affect us. CRI/GENEX uses an extender that is designed for pocket or in cow thaw, but they also indicate if you warm water thaw the time and temp. is different then ABS specifies. Of course we've only been doing this for 20 plus years so maybe I've just been lucky to maintane a 95%+ conception rate in our cows and 87% in clients cows.

dun

> I just finished up the second day
> of AI School (KSU). And I think
> I'm getting the hang of it, really
> not that hard once you figure out
> what you're looking (feeling) for
> in there.

> Quite interesting how thoughts are
> changing on certain aspects of AI,
> such as the methods of thawing
> semen. We're being to trained to
> do "in cow thaw" as well