AI School/Certification in California

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
Does anyone know of AI schools/certifications in California, Nevada, Oregon? I am in Northern California, just looking for an AI school that is semi-close to me.

While I'm not up on the current classes "due to Covid" Select Sires in Turlock has offered AI classes in the past. Seems like it was once or twice a year. There aren't many options in CA unfortunately. Check with Select and if they don't have any they may direct you to someone who does.
Theres at least one more thread on this and I haven't seen any updates on it for other locations. I couldn't make the Turlock class (many years ago now) and ended up taking my class in Washington at the main Select Sires facility.
Good luck!

I checked with Select Sires in my area, and unfortunately they aren't scheduling any classes currently... of course due to Covid... such a bummer! I have found schools in Tennessee and Texas that are offering classes but I was hoping for something a bit closer. Guess I will have to take what I can get.

Check out Oregon State in Corvalis.
They usually offer them but I have been on the list for a year to go to it and they cancelled the last 2. I said F^&* it and bought the stuff and are just going to start doing it. I already have the tank and i can always stick a second one in them 6-8 hrs later if I feel I didn't get in there.

Do you know anyone around you who does AI work?
Might be able to have them show you a few things and give it a try.

Really an AI class just gives you the basics. Time spent doing it is what really helps you.

Do you know anyone around you who does AI work?
Might be able to have them show you a few things and give it a try.

Really an AI class just gives you the basics. Time spent doing it is what really helps you.
I do have a person in my area that just came to AI my cow and he was super helpful and gave me good tips to get going. I offered my help to him but he said he's not super busy right now. At least he knows I'm willing to help and learn. I mostly want to get certified so I can go get my tank and supplies too

Check with UC Davis would be my next suggestion. I highly doubt with all the "lockdowns" here you'll find a legit class going on right now in CA. But UC Davis might have an idea who you can talk to.
You don't need a certification to buy your tank, semen and supplies. You can get your supplies and learn on your own. Plenty of online resources as well as you can ask questions here to help with confusion and issues you may be having.

I would find your closest rep whether it be Genex, select sires, or ABS. They can point you in the right direction and get you a tank and semen.

My Genex rep actually offered to come to the farm and help me 1 on 1

Our county usually runs an AI school every other year. It is run by the Douglas County Livestock Assn in cooperation with the Oregon extension. We should be due for one this summer if there is enough interest, but Covid will likely affect that. Cost has been between $150 to $200 and involves a week of instruction and a day of actual practice on cows. You can contact Shelby Filley from OSU at 541-672-4461 and let her know, if you would be interested.

Check with UC Davis would be my next suggestion. I highly doubt with all the "lockdowns" here you'll find a legit class going on right now in CA. But UC Davis might have an idea who you can talk to.
You don't need a certification to buy your tank, semen and supplies. You can get your supplies and learn on your own. Plenty of online resources as well as you can ask questions here to help with confusion and issues you may be having.
I sent an email to UC David and haven't heard anything back just yet. Thank you for the input. I would love to get my tank and things set up.

Our county usually runs an AI school every other year. It is run by the Douglas County Livestock Assn in cooperation with the Oregon extension. We should be due for one this summer if there is enough interest, but Covid will likely affect that. Cost has been between $150 to $200 and involves a week of instruction and a day of actual practice on cows. You can contact Shelby Filley from OSU at 541-672-4461 and let her know, if you would be interested.
Thank you so much! This is exactly what I am looking for. We actually have family in Douglas county in Oregon, in the Roseburg area. I will absolutely be giving her a call. Thank you again!

Latest posts