AI questions

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Does anyone on here do their own AI? I have now seen this done about 15 times and am getting play by play instructions from the men that are performing it. Do you have to go to a class to learn this? So far I think I know that you are feeling for the cervix and the straw has to go through the cervix just to the end and then shoot. The cervix is rigid and they are all not the same size. Am I right on any of this?

tncattle":3m4h07a9 said:
Does anyone on here do their own AI? I have now seen this done about 15 times and am getting play by play instructions from the men that are performing it. Do you have to go to a class to learn this? So far I think I know that you are feeling for the cervix and the straw has to go through the cervix just to the end and then shoot. The cervix is rigid and they are all not the same size. Am I right on any of this?

I wouldn't say "shoot" -- it's more like drip. As for the cervix, rule of thumb is they are rigid, but I AI'd two first time heifers this past year and they're cervix(es) felt like jello. It took a few minutes, but I got the straw to pass through and I guess I did ok -- one had a calf 3 days ago and the other is due soon.

Latest posts