AI Question

Help Support CattleToday:

CopeMan

Reaction score
If you primarily AI, and use one bull for cleanup for example. When it comes calving time how would you know if the calf is from the AI bull or the cleanup bull?

CopeMan":3m3m40oy said:
If you primarily AI, and use one bull for cleanup for example. When it comes calving time how would you know if the calf is from the AI bull or the cleanup bull?

Cope,
I wait one cycle after I AI before I put the bull out. AI calves come first, then the bull's calves 6 weeks later. ;-)

CopeMan":38yp2n0l said:

Just hold the bull out and let one heat cycle pass for all the cows.

Some people use a completely different breed of bull as the clean up batter. Then they will be able to more easily tell visually. But I like Cert's program better.

DNA tests. Costs 20 dollars to have parentage or DNA makers for bulls and ET cows. If you are collecting and selling Angus semen you must have the bull DNA makered. Same for cows that are to be flushed. You can blood type them also. More expensive and requires more blood.

Scotty

certherfbeef":2kaylcdh said:
CopeMan":2kaylcdh said:

Cope,
I wait one cycle after I AI before I put the bull out. AI calves come first, then the bull's calves 6 weeks later. ;-)

I like that. Will the open cows come back in during that 6 weeks after the AI?

CopeMan":1eugrfku said:
certherfbeef":1eugrfku said:
CopeMan":1eugrfku said:

Cope,

If they are indeed open because I missed them AIing the bull will catch them. Any left open after the bull leaves the pasture...go to town.

CopeMan":2qa8hyau said:
certherfbeef":2qa8hyau said:
CopeMan":2qa8hyau said:

Cope,

They could posibly come in two times in 6 weeks. Every 21 days average. 21 X 2 = 42 days/ 7 days = 6 weeks. You may want to try some heat detector patches. Try estrusalert.net

Scotty

Scotty,

While AIing I use the red estrus alert. After I AI the red comes off and before the bull goes in a pink estrus alert goes on. Just the way I do it. Pink estrus alert rubbed off...bull bred.

I have no problems telling the AI calves from the bull's calves.
Good records and lots of time spend with the cattle help too.

I don't have trouble telling which calves are which. I missed writing down an a.i. date on a cow a few years ago. Just had her down as bred to the bull. :oops: She had a good calf but I knew what bull it was out of by the looks of the calf. I went to my breeding book..nothing. I was confident to I had the calf parent verified. I was right. It was an AI calf I had missed writing the date down. I sure couldn't remember breeding her that year either...Old age I guess.

certherfbeef":k47s35wy said:
Scotty,

While AIing I use the red estrus alert. After I AI the red comes off and before the bull goes in a pink estrus alert goes on. Just the way I do it. Pink estrus alert rubbed off...bull bred.

I have no problems telling the AI calves from the bull's calves.
Good records and lots of time spend with the cattle help too.

I can usually tell by the cows mounting and signs of the cow when she is in heat. I look in the mornig nad night befor dark. momma looks at lunch for tell tell signs. After AI we send in Bully and he marks the strips. Just use one color. I have thought about using two types or one type for the cows alone but seem to be doing alright with eyeballs. 20 cows Aied and 7 will go to my bull. 65 % not to bad. i chock that up to my vet and my eyeballs.

Scotty

If breeding on a natural heat we wait a couple of days to make sure she's done with her heat cycle. With most of our AI cows we synch and time breed them. After three weeks we turn them out with the bull.
Although we've had some really nice AI calves we've also had a couple of stinkers. Last year one of our cows had a bull calf out of a nice AI bull. The calf was pretty pathetic looking and weighed 350 pounds when she weaned him. This year she has a nice heifer out of our bull that weighs close to 600. Go figure.
Also, if you have a good clean up bull there shouldn't be that big of a difference in your calves. This is assuming that the bulls you are using are all from the same breed.

Latest posts