AI question from first timer for mixed herd

Help Support CattleToday:

I'll chime in one more time with you guys. And keep in mind I'm a novice. But here's how I'm seeing this, and some of my reasoning for leaning toward multiple bulls for AI in my mixed herd. I thought about using the "target bull" which seemed to make sense. But I'm having more trouble finding one than I did finding three. Does anyone know of a "target bull" that has above average carcass, +4 or better CED and below 2.0 BW, above average on CEM and HP, milk of 22 and Doc of 20+, and I would need ADG of .25+ and DMI below 20. MW of +20 or a little more and MH of +2 to +4 ??? Oh, and WW of +60 or above. $W and $B above average and +EN ???
I don't think there is a target bull as far as a cowmaker goes. Seems it would depend on the cow as to who the target bull would be for producing heifers....
Thanks again for all the opinions

I assume that you did the AAA Sire Search with those numbers? Did you also search through the bulls with lower accuracy. They might be your bull but would have a chance to find sources that are breeding along the criteria that you want.

I looked at your minimum criteria (numbers) a little closer. You will not find an Angus bull like that because the DMI and MH values are off the charts. And the $EN is opposite of the high performance minimums. Might want to rethink: maternal or terminal is priority with the right numbers to search. Or change breeds.

You have alot of conflicting priorities as far as EPDs go.. Big WW EPD cattle are normally not good on $EN. Takes EN to grow, I did adjust some of your selection criteria and found a bull that might work..

YON Future Force Z77 (ABS is listed as an owner) 17264322 Pretty good on MW And MH for a +62 WW EPD. $EN is in the 70% percentile, so not what you wanted..meets the rest of your criteria I think..

Drop the WW requirement to 53 and you get 10 bulls and 3 or 4 I recognize as AI bulls to select from.
Here is what I used to search
CED min +4
BW max +2
WW min +53
milk min +22
doc min +20
RADG min +.25
DMI max +.2
MH max +.4
$W Min 46.07
$B min 105.07

Ebenezer":qa16xc22 said:
I looked at your minimum criteria (numbers) a little closer. You will not find an Angus bull like that because the DMI and MH values are off the charts. And the $EN is opposite of the high performance minimums. Might want to rethink: maternal or terminal is priority with the right numbers to search. Or change breeds.

I forgot a few decimal points in criteria. But my point is, you're exactly right. There is no one angus bull that will meet all my criteria. If I'm going to just keep going toward a "target bull", I may as well save myself some money and stick to the one I've got for now. He has the phenotype, epd numbers (although low accuracy), calves on the ground looking good so far. maybe buy an additional one similar to him, and keep my other bull (girly looking but real CE low BW) strictly for use on heifers.
There seems to be a lot of disagreement on here between the experts as to how they would implement AI in to a mixed herd such as mine. I have certain cows that need improvement in certain areas. Others I don't want to screw with their genetics too much and mess them up. It's amazing how many different opinions are on here. I'm just trying to maximize and improve profit and quality.

midtenn,
The beauty of AI is you can tailor a mating to match a bull's strengths to the weaknesses of the cow.. AI allows you to use 10 bulls with various strengths vs one bull natural service..You said some of your cows need improvement in some areas use AI to enhance your chance of fixing that..

Ten X (15719841)is very close to what you want,Doc is 15 but above average, MH above average but not +2. Dmi is higher than your numbers, but a high acc bull. Positive $EN with growth.

Others I don't want to screw with their genetics too much and mess them up. It's amazing how many different opinions are on here. I'm just trying to maximize and improve profit and quality.
I think the sentence could read, "It's amazing how many different experiences are on here."

Got a bull you like. Got cows that you like. Save sons and use as 15 month olds as multisires. Quick and type fixing. Environmentally proven.
Want variation, unknown and decades of improvement of the unspoken or unknown: go AI.
Want more variation, unknowns and decades of improvement of the unspoken or unknown: go AI with multiple bulls.

You experience what you know. You hope for what you do not know. The first option lets you shoot at the target while standing closer. The second two options often has you shooting at the target backwards while somebody with a vested interest holds the mirror for you.

Experience.

Latest posts