AI question for today

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Cow got her tail paint rubbed off in the middle of the night. Breed in the am or breed in the afternoon/ evening. I bred her this morn, but forgot the gnrh and realeased her. Coffee hadnt kicked in yet :bang:

I'd breed in evening. Our resident repro vet has great success waiting between 12 and 18 hours after standing heat. I tried the same thing and got better results waiting past 12 hours when breeding on natural heat. She says it works just as well on synched animals.

HOSS":5ifj7kkc said:
I'd breed in evening. Our resident repro vet has great success waiting between 12 and 18 hours after standing heat. I tried the same thing and got better results waiting past 12 hours when breeding on natural heat. She says it works just as well on synched animals.

I agree, we often breed 12 and 24 hours after, especially if it is one that cycled at an odd time like yours. Better to be safe, especially if the semen was not too expensive.

Fire Sweep Ranch":21678x2b said:
I agree, we often breed 12 and 24 hours after, especially if it is one that cycled at an odd time like yours. Better to be safe, especially if the semen was not too expensive.
:nod:

Thanks everyone. That's the plan then. That is if she will go back to the catch pen.

Not happening. She's already worked up and high headed still from this morning. She will either take or not.

Is she still showing estrus? If she's not in full standing heat then you were likely close enough on your timing.
FWIW, I don't breed anything on AM PM . It's all once a day. The only time I'll rebreed one is if I know that she's just getting started the first day and she still ACTS like she's in heat the following day.

She was bulling a little yesterday afternoon, paint gone this morn, and no other signs today. She felt right also.

I hope so. Btw, the one never did come back in. The second one hasn't yet but has a few more days, and this one did come back in. Things are starting to click each time now.
If nothing else im getting plenty of practice

hook, I have an AI class lined up so am interested to know something before I get equipment. How are the cows behaving to being run through a facility on this often of a basis. I am working up 4 heifers and have had them through the facility about 3 or 4 times each in the last 2 months. They are starting to get shy. One is really shy. She is now running from me when I get close. And you know how much I am around my cattle. It is making me wonder if this is going to be all the fun I can stand. :lol:

First time and second time through are a week apart. Third time is 3 days after the second. That's where they get shy sometimes. Thts with a fixed time ai. Ive been doing observed heat ai on tese beause we can watch them. In that case its only one trip thru. I feed them in the pen, so they know that if they want to eat they need to go in. Just be calm with them and they should be fine b

Latest posts