AI or Natural Service

Help Support CattleToday:

midTN_Brangusman

Reaction score
Just bought a semi load of black angus heifers. What would be more cost effecient? A.I. these heifers and put clean up bulls with them or to just turn the bulls in. I have enough bulls to service them, just not sure what would be more cost effective and more efficient as far as pregnancy percentages. Thanks for your feedback!

As long as you trust the bull to have decent calving ease and BW I would just turn the bull in for this year. I would want to use a pretty athletic bull, one that is considered a gentleman. A gentleman doesn;t pu a lot of weight on the lady. I've had bulls that will drive a full gown cow to the gorund and we had one 2200 lb bull that when he bred yearling heifers they wouldn;t even take a step forward, he was a gentleman.

Thank you for your feedback dun, I have two young bulls I could put with them, they are around 20 months old. Both have high CED and LBW, I am leaning that way just didn't know if it would be worth it to A.I.

My opinion would be to AI them. I'm not a big heteford guy but I like cross breds. I would AI to a proven calving easy hereford bull victor 719T comes to mind. You could get some awesome cross calves that grow like weeds, also those baldys that people love. Not to mention a tighter calving group, uniform calves, and setting those heifers up to breed back as 2 year olds more efficient. If it works you could still turn out two bulls for clean up, then you would have an even tighter group at calving. Just my two cents!

rvfarms":2yfz59i8 said:
My opinion would be to AI them. I'm not a big heteford guy but I like cross breds. I would AI to a proven calving easy hereford bull victor 719T comes to mind. You could get some awesome cross calves that grow like weeds, also those baldys that people love. Not to mention a tighter calving group, uniform calves, and setting those heifers up to breed back as 2 year olds more efficient. If it works you could still turn out two bulls for clean up, then you would have an even tighter group at calving. Just my two cents!

I agree (maybe not with the Hereford part). AI them with timed AI, then let the bull(s) clean up the rest. If it worked out well, all of your calves would be born in a 30 day window...

Is it just me or does calving out a pot load of heifers in 30 days sound like no fun at all?!?! Not saying the suggestions are bad, just pondering how un-fun it would be! :2cents:

Cost effective?
I'd say the bulls, you already have them, might as well let them earn their keep.
A.I. can be a hassle with a lot of hidden costs and extra labor...depending on how you are currently set up.

Son of Butch":27l6c748 said:
Cost effective?
I'd say the bulls, you already have them, might as well let them earn their keep.
A.I. can be a hassle with a lot of hidden costs and extra labor...depending on how you are currently set up.

+1. I have been pondering a similar situation, I have 55 cows and heifers to breed this spring. I have a 2 yr old bull, and 3 spring yearling bulls, provided that they are determined to be sound breeders. Most times, I have some AI done, and will probably still AI the registered cattle. Last year, we AI'ed all spring calvers, but since I have these bulls and the market is the way it is, I am thinking that it would be just as good to get use of the bulls as it would be to sell them.

If the question was buy a couple bulls or AI and get maybe 1 cleanup bull, my vote would be AI. But you already have the 2 bulls, so you might as well let them work.

Boot Jack Bulls":cy6xrwna said:
Is it just me or does calving out a pot load of heifers in 30 days sound like no fun at all?!?! Not saying the suggestions are bad, just pondering how un-fun it would be! :2cents:

I would rather do in 30 days instead of 60. Fewer days means fewer trips to check on them. This year was the first time I have had any experience with timed AI. My 11 heifers calved in 9 days. I could get used to a 10 day calving season.

Thanks for all the feedback, I just threw the bulls in there with them over the weekend. Just couldn't see myself spending the extra $ to A.I. They are already going to work on them, hopefully they will get most of them covered.

Latest posts