AI or Live Cover?

Help Support CattleToday:

Wisteria Farms

Reaction score
I have a question.... which gives you the best results... AI or Live Cover? I have a cow I was buying as bred. She calved June 28. She was observed receiving the bull (I believe August 7). Due to waiting on shots for other calves we were buying we just heard she came into heat again Nov. 5. They said "THIS TIME" we've done AI. I'm thinking to myself, if pasture breeding didn't work... what's the liklihood that AI will? I think I should not buy the cow... opinions?

Wisteria Farms":wgtky0l9 said:
I have a question.... which gives you the best results... AI or Live Cover? I have a cow I was buying as bred. She calved June 28. She was observed receiving the bull (I believe August 7). Due to waiting on shots for other calves we were buying we just heard she came into heat again Nov. 5. They said "THIS TIME" we've done AI. I'm thinking to myself, if pasture breeding didn't work... what's the liklihood that AI will? I think I should not buy the cow... opinions?

Studies I've seen say with good heat detection and a good AI tech, you get about the same rate with AI as first service with a bull, about 80-85%. We haven't used a bull on this place in 12-15 years. The thing that would concern me is the length of time between the natural service and the AI. Did she slip a calf or were they not watching her?

Frankie":o9d0sikh said:
Wisteria Farms":o9d0sikh said:

Studies I've seen say with good heat detection and a good AI tech, you get about the same rate with AI as first service with a bull, about 80-85%. We haven't used a bull on this place in 12-15 years. The thing that would concern me is the length of time between the natural service and the AI. Did she slip a calf or were they not watching her?

Frankie, Thanks for the reply. I'm wondering the same thing but at this point it doesn't much matter... I'm thinking she's not one I should add to my breeding program. I'm pretty sure the bull runs with the cows... she either lost one or just never took. Bad deal either way. Was just wondering why they would think they'd have better luck with AI (same bull)... Thanks again.

Hippie Rancher":ggqi3rfc said:
Well its not always the cows fault, maybe there is something wrong with the bull - how many cows was he covering and what was the conception rate for the herd?

It is a relatively small herd... (I believe about 20 cows or less)... I know from "talks" with them that they do a mix of pasture breeding and AI... As for how many were serviced by this bull, I know he "did his duty" with 3 other cows I was considering. At several different times she showed me pictures of him running with the herd so I think they are watched fairly closely. I've heard various things can effect the bull... but I'm more inclined to think this might be the cow. Just to be on the safe-side I'm going to leave her there.

Does their pogengy tend to have trouble also? I am buying her heifer calf.

Does their pogengy tend to have trouble also? I am buying her heifer calf.

Depends on what the root problem is. If it was an injury or illness probably not, on the other hand if there is a deformity or something sure it can be passed on - another "danger" of AI in my opinion - could be passing on the exact sorts of problem you describe. On the other hand if a bull were injured or in some kind of accident that made it difficult for him to cover cows it does allow continued use of his genetics.

At some point, though one needs to evaluate the propensity to be involved in accidents or catching illnesses - sometimes it is random, but I swear I have seen lines of females that all of them seemed to have some kind of problem - they live long enough to have a few calves but then eventually they all get hit by trains or cars or just die randomly - probably coincidental but who knows?

Latest posts