AI on Monday

Help Support CattleToday:

LJCB

Reaction score
Weather looks great and that would be a first in like 3 years of it being hot!

I have these guys in the lineup.
38 special
Notary
Top notch
President

What did everyone use this year or plan to use?

For the purebred Angus cows:
Tahoe
Legendary
Playbook
Rainfall

For the purebred Angus heifers:
Barstow Bankroll

For the Simmental cows:
Imperial

For the Hereford cows:
Cuda

We're using a Red Angus bull, Topgun, on everything else that isn't black, which includes:
red-hided Angus influenced cow and heifer
Red Angus/Hereford cross cow and heifers
Charolais/Angus cross heifers
Charolais/Hereford cross heifers
Brahma/Hereford cross heifers

The purebred Angus are the big end of it, about 60 cows and 30 heifers. Then there are 16 of the tiger-stripes and 10 or less of each of the other groups.

I've been breeding a few on natural heats.

The Herefords are getting bred to Long Haul
Crossbred heifers breeding to CCR Boulder
Probably use TJ Gold or Hooks Frontline on the commercial Angus cows.

Mine are about another 11/2 mths away from calving yet but I'm going to try and use most of what I have in the tank. I have added a couple GAR Ashland and a Baldridge Beast Mode son Clunie Range Plantation. Others in the tank are Musgrave Exclusive, Sydgen Enhance, SAV Rainmaster, Resource, Basin Rainmaker Bruns Blaster, Coonamble Nicnat ( Discovery son)
Uggh, way too many got to clear them out.

Ken

Exclusive (S and C)
Crackerjack (S)
Rainfall

And a few here and there of:

Summit (S/C)
Raindance(S)

Will be adding MVP to tank next

kentuckyguy said:
I've been breeding a few on natural heats.

The Herefords are getting bred to Long Haul
Crossbred heifers breeding to CCR Boulder
Probably use TJ Gold or Hooks Frontline on the commercial Angus cows.

Do you have any Boulders or is this your first time. I thought about using him this fall. I've got him in the tank, but didn't put him in any cows this spring. Want to use him, but haven't quite pulled the trigger yet.

I haven't had any Boulder calves yet but have seen a lot of his calves. For a calving ease bull he throws some thick calves.

I have a couple commercial Angus cows stuck to him for sept 1st calves. I'll try to remember to post up pics.

torogmc81 said:
Exclusive (S and C)
Crackerjack (S)
Rainfall

Summit (S/C)
Raindance(S)

Be sire to post pics of the MVP calves when you have some. I don't usually breed to Angus bulls but every time I look through my ST Genetics catalog he catches my eye. Excellent look bull. I'm betting he will give them that thick soggy look I like.

kentuckyguy said:
torogmc81 said:
Exclusive (S and C)
Crackerjack (S)
Rainfall

Summit (S/C)
Raindance(S)

Be sire to post pics of the MVP calves when you have some. I don't usually breed to Angus bulls but every time I look through my ST Genetics catalog he catches my eye. Excellent look bull. I'm betting he will give them that thick soggy look I like.

get a hold of Trey at TD Angus. he can tell ya as much as there is to know. I look at MVP as a "breed everything to him" bull type, from heifers thru cows.

I'm using:

Raven Powerball: on PB Angus looking for potential replacement heifers.

Byergo Black Magic: On a hodgepodge of small framed cows. Looking for terminal fat cattle.

LMR Kitaguni 1441Y: On heifers and some F1s for calving ease and carcass offspring.

All the heifers here are being bred to Sitz Stellar, going to do a timed deal on a group of cows and using Gar Sunrise. Possibly breed 30 cows to a Wagyu bull but haven't decided there yet.

We bred a bunch of our heifers to Stellar and his son Resilient this Spring. The Stellars seemed to have better conception than the Resilients.
We bred our heifers to Sitz Accomplishment last year and his calves are pretty nice and Calving Ease was really good on heifers.

That's good to know about Stellar as about 35% of what we are using is sexed semen.

Sometimes I have to search bulls that u all are using. I like these pages gives a guy some good suggestions.
I've mostly been using
Attractive
Roper
Trapper
Resource
Bruiser

I seem to be on the same page as LCBulls. We used Resilient, but we skipped a generation and went back to Substantial on majority of the heifers and a couple of the high BW cows. May use Stellar next year after we see how his sire and son do. Should know how conception on the Resilients went here in the next week when the cows come around for second cycle.

Also used a couple straws of Hoover Dam (got 3 bulls calves this spring and no heifers) and several straws of B3R Electorate (used him last year and the calves are growing well -- looking to add carcass through Gardens Wave with a little more growth). Have a Wave son with calves on the ground and they are vigorous - better tag them within a few hours because they are alert and fleet footed after that. The sons should make great bulls for range calving outfits.

Sampled some E&B Plus One. A little concerned on his SC, but his HP is pretty high. Concerned on his PAP as well.

Sampled some E&B Plus One. A little concerned on his SC, but his HP is pretty high. Concerned on his PAP as well.
@GoWyo I'm curious about how your E&B Plus One calves turned out, how would you rate them compared to your other calves?
Did you save and breed any of the heifers?

J+: In general the Plus One calves are moderate framed, fleshy, attractive cattle that seem pretty correct structurally. Their weaning weights generally ratioed below 100 in my herd, except for a bull calf from a Jindra Acclaim first calf heifer. That bull is now a yearling and received quite a bit of attention from our web page, but buyers wound up purchasing all my Ox Bow Ozzie sons and the Mohnen Substantial son we had for sale plus some 2-year old bulls we used for clean up last year. We sold two heifer calves at the Wyoming Angus Select Female Sale last fall ($2750 each as I recall) and we kept a replacement heifer from a Leachman Right Time daughter.

For comparisons, I had a GAR Hometown son I pounded out last week for bad feet, a Baldridge Alternative son bloated and died a couple months ago, so the Plus One calves did better than the other high carcass value types :poop: (the only reason I had those was I bought three cows at a dispersal sale and wanted to compare how these higher numbered cattle would compare to our own). The dam of the Hometown son is headed to the sale barn this week for calving late (calved Jan. 2021 and then not til May 2022 -- may break even on this cow if I don't count the feed).

I don't see any reason to use Plus One here again because his PAP EPD is terrible, but on a power type cow that needs toned down he seems to do well and I think the feet are pretty good on them. I liked the calves by Sitz Resilient quite a bit (the heifers ratioed at the top for WW and YW and they are still moderate framed as are the bulls). We will be using a couple Sitz Resilient sons for clean up on one pasture and offer them for sale as 2-year olds next year.

We have calves on the ground this spring from Basin Safe Deposit, Square B True North, Sitz Resilient and Ox Bow Ozzie that are looking very good. This year's A.I. sires are Basin Safe Deposit (caution - he is not a heifer bull and does not match his CED or BW EPDs, but they are thick with excellent newborn vigor after you pull them out of heifers 🤬), Ox Bow Ozzie, Sitz Resilient, Square B True North, U-2 Coalition and S Right Time 7861 (discussed in another thread).

@GoWyo, I appreciate the feedback, you saved me two years that we can never get back. I guess Plus One wasn't the best choice, but it also sounds like it wasn't the worst. Lots of people need structurally correct, moderate framed cattle. You had quite good things to say about the growth of Sitz Resilient calves and you are using him again, so I take that as one of your top picks.

I like the Plus One cattle, but Plus One and his sire's PAP EPD is not acceptable here. We are at 4800 feet elevation with summer pastures at 6200', but many of my customers run at 6,000 to 8000 feet, so we want to avoid pulmonary problems. Big bodies and small lungs don't work here. Maybe with more PAP data his EPD will improve, but there are so many other choices that fit here I will pass for now. I do like the Resilient cattle, especially the heifers. I do hope they don't get too fat -- they are really easy fleshing. But my buyers looked right past the Resilient sons and bought the Ozzie sons. So we will make some more of those. We shoot for adjusted weaning weights on bulls at around 675-700 lbs. (no creep feed) and don't really want to be much over 750 lbs. because it takes too much cow to get there.

Latest posts