AI on cows you don't see often

Help Support CattleToday:

I would go with one shot of Lutalyse on the day you turn out the bulls. A good portion of the herd should come into heat over the next 7 days for the bulls to breed. This will help to tighten up your calving season with less work and cost than AI.

Also, I like the idea of AIing some top cows for replacements.

Started classes today. It's a good course. There are 3 extension agents from different states taking it, 3 Deseret ranch hands, several large producers, one guy from
Missouri, one manager from Mexico, and 2 from brazil.
Good group of people
It's nice to be able to make sense out of what I've been reading on here and other places. Today was mainly book work and feeling repro tracts from butcher cows. Tomorrow we glove up.

hooknline":u0afsgo3 said:
Started classes today. It's a good course. There are 3 extension agents from different states taking it, 3 Deseret ranch hands, several large producers, one guy from
Missouri, one manager from Mexico, and 2 from brazil.
Good group of people
It's nice to be able to make sense out of what I've been reading on here and other places. Today was mainly book work and feeling repro tracts from butcher cows. Tomorrow we glove up.

I don't know what the deal is here.....says 41 responses on 3 pages....but no matter where I click all I get is hooks first post....

Hook
When we sync our cows even at the main farm by the time the last shot has to be given they are Leary about coming up. We start giving them some cake about a week before we start, and that keeps them coming but like I said by the end they are shy about it. I would think having to pull in the working facilities would make it that much harder. I think your on the right track cover them with good bulls identify the ones you want to AI and take them to the house.

Gizmom

gizmom":ysi7t1c4 said:
Hook
When we sync our cows even at the main farm by the time the last shot has to be given they are Leary about coming up. We start giving them some cake about a week before we start, and that keeps them coming but like I said by the end they are shy about it. I would think having to pull in the working facilities would make it that much harder. I think your on the right track cover them with good bulls identify the ones you want to AI and take them to the house.

Gizmom

I know I sound crazy and like a broken record....but there is an easy fix.

feed em in the headchute.....

don't have to feed em a lot...just a taste to associate something good with the headchute. I feed mine every time I put them thru the chute....

some will take a few times to acclimate to it.....

I have posted here before about it......but if you are doing synchrony getting the cows thru the chute becomes easier every trip thru the chute...

my cows got to the point that they would auto load....when breeding I had to make sure the cut gate was closed behind me to keep the next cow from coming in....routinely have 70% standing in the chute waiting for their turn in the headgate and at the tub.

gizmom":3nuvgjfu said:
Hook

Gizmom
The group I have here at the house I feed in the crowding pen. They work real easy that way. If I bring a group of the best ones here I can do a fall calving and a spring calving, AI them and really
Jump start things.
Day 2 of classes today went great. Got to arm about 20 cows. Got real comfortable calling open or bred. Not too hard to do when they are 90-120 days. Did a couple that were further and those were easy too. 45-90 isn't too bad either. Having a good time and learning a bunch too

hooknline":1s57vumw said:
gizmom":1s57vumw said:
Hook

Gizmom
The group I have here at the house I feed in the crowding pen. They work real easy that way. If I bring a group of the best ones here I can do a fall calving and a spring calving, AI them and really
Jump start things.
Day 2 of classes today went great. Got to arm about 20 cows. Got real comfortable calling open or bred. Not too hard to do when they are 90-120 days. Did a couple that were further and those were easy too. 45-90 isn't too bad either. Having a good time and learning a bunch too

Good deal Hook! Time and money well spent....

salebarn junkie":qnwoti93 said:
Your going to have to have a clean up bull anyway will the a i calves bring that much more to justify the expense and extra work
By the time I'm done swapping out everything to the best genetics I can buy it will. Plus save me having to use more bulls. I'll most likely only Need one instead of 5
We have one more morning of pen work and that's it. I'm real comfortable with palpating now, and pretty comfortable with AI and syncing. As long as I don't run into any real bad cervix problems.

salebarn junkie":4fyzt1gc said:
Your going to have to have a clean up bull anyway will the a i calves bring that much more to justify the expense and extra work

We do not have a clean up bull. Put in the time, cull those that don't breed the 1st or second time. Cullling strongly for fertilty (pending you Do your job right) can pay off big time. No bull and I can pick the right bull for each cow. Makes for a good paycheck.
Best of luck to you. Don't be afraid to get in there bad cervix or not. We have good success rates because we take the steps and heat detection seriously.
Double R