AI Help!

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":gxq8785v said:
maybe my "un-natural" blond moment!
:shock: :D

I've alwasy considered them "senior moments" but may grey is a form of blond so now I can count them as "blond moments"

dun

holistichoofcare":b2of2iqt said:
who does ur drawing Jeanne Ive found dependabull to be the best in our area

Yup, Dave & Christine Sowter's got my baby. He really packs the ole wigglys into one straw. Puts minimum of 30 million in each. Says most studs puts 10 - 12 million. I haven't checked that out. MILLIONS - that is amazing to me. It only takes ONE!! :shock:

So you're a hoof trimmer. Do you also raise beefers? Where in upstate? We're just west of Cortland of I81.

Oh, by the way. Talked to DependaBull - Dave yesterday. Asked him about the test. Said the test showed his semen extremely strong. Not many bulls will hold that long. Also asked him about the pocket thaw vs. water bath. He said Genex is the only one recommending pocket thaw, he recommends 90 degree water, but he really doesn't think it makes any difference.
And, I guess I would rather see you use a shirt pocket than your back pocket - DON'T SIT DOWN!! :shock: :D
Actually, I should say that Ken uses pocket/cow thaw. We catch the cow, than he draws the semen which is about 10' away from the chute (in a seperate room). He has it out only long enough to load it in the pipette & gun than it goes right into the cow. He always waits a little while longer if he gets it in the right place immediately, so it is completely thawed. Always watches the clock. Not sure of his exact timing.
Uggh - my computer just went off line again. :mad:

maybe a dumb question, because I have never A.I.ed. does it take time to train a cow to stand and get A.I.'ed?? I would like to try this year to get new blood in the herd.

cowspider":6mmm5oga said:
maybe a dumb question, because I have never A.I.ed. does it take time to train a cow to stand and get A.I.'ed?? I would like to try this year to get new blood in the herd.

Not really. They may be nervous and fiidgity, but a soothing cow side manner helps to calm them down.

dun

cowspider":2uqklswv said:

Agree, a good question. It is much easier to breed if they are content & fairly quiet (little movement). We find that some good quality hay or grain to keep them occupied during breeding helps tremendously. If they are hungry, seems they are more concerned with eating than what you are doing at the back end.

cowspider":1npio1v2 said:

just enough training to get her to go through the chute & catch her in the headgate.

Latest posts