AI Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hi all! Last may I artificially insemenated an angus heifer. I had her preg checked in november and the heifer was bred. My question is since I know the exact day she was bred will she calve exactly 283 days later or is there still that 10 day grace? Also how long after her due date should I wait before I induce?
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

Chances are she will calve earlier than 283 days. Start watching her at 270, more closely at 276, and if she goes past 283 and your sure she is bred to the A.I. date you can induce anytime. Inducing a birth will be misleading as to the real birth weight of the calf, just in case you plan on marketing seedstock.<p>Jason Trowbridge<br>Southern Angus Farms<br>Alberta Canada
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":1sejvnqp said:
: Chances are she will calve earlier than 283 days. Start watching her at 270, more closely at 276, and if she goes past 283 and your sure she is bred to the A.I. date you can induce anytime. Inducing a birth will be misleading as to the real birth weight of the calf, just in case you plan on marketing seedstock.<p>: Jason Trowbridge<br>: Southern Angus Farms<br>: Alberta Canada<p>Thanks Jason for the info. The heifer is now 285 days. I did see a small amount of discharge yesterday but none today. Her bag is not yet full and she is not near loose enough to calve. I guess since this is our first A.I calf to be born I am a little nervous. The Bull we A.I to was Bar EXT (which is suppose to be calving ease bull). Do you think we should induce or wait it out?<br>By the way Jason great pic of your bull! Would love more information for future breedings this summer. <br>
<br>

[email protected]

It's tough to tell without seeing the heifer, but she could have missed the A.I. date and be bred to the bull 21 days later. With no bag and not loosened up at the back I'd hold off inducing. At 285 days from the A.I. date, she could calve in 14 days to the bull.<p>I've been doing this all my life, and am third generation, but I still learn new things all the time. I'm happy to share any insights I might have, just ask.<p>The calves from that bull are looking great. I'm very pleased witht he way they are growing and the style they already have at 2 months of age. We use the top A.I. bulls we can find with proven numbers, and when I have 2 bulls that I raised that sire calves that stand right with them, I know I've done my job and have a solid product to promote as another top A.I. bull to other producers.<p>Go to clubphoto.com and type in my e-mail if you want to see a few other pics ([email protected]).<p>Let me know what happens with your heifer.<p>Jason Trowbridge<br>Southern Angus Farms<br>Alberta Canada
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts