AI Failure Questions

Help Support CattleToday:

I tried to answer on CC yesterday, but it wouldn't respond.

Biggest reason is infertile cows.

3 types of cows when AI'ing.

#1 - Cow catches every time, no matter how much semen is used or what time of the cycle or on the first cycle after she calves.

#2 - Cow catches most times, but with certain conditions. (ie maybe using two straws of semen, breeding at the right time in the cycle and waiting for the 2nd or 3rd cycle.

#3 - Cow catches once in a blue moon. Everything can be perfect and they won't catch.

#1 and #2 cows are what you want in your herd. Cull all the #3's as they are easy to pick out. More masculine, very little feminity, coarse through their body and have a terrible time catching even with a natural bull (ie, their breeding date falls behind each year)

Get rid of the #3's and you'll see a big improvement in your AI'ing. :cowboy:

Well Aaron the only time I had tried getting some AI'ing done was on my milk cow. She didn't catch either.
Now I let my vet put in the CIDRS and insert the semen. Been trying to find a course in AI'ing but nothing I can do yet.
Never tried to AI these cows before. Picked them because of their smaller frame and their fertility. Checked them in the records and they have not been open for a breeding season.

I luv herfrds":2x9u2d42 said:
Checked them in the records and they have not been open for a breeding season.

Open is not the key. Look for the cows that back up their calving date each year, or at the very least, maintain the same date. Those are the ones that catch easily. We used to A.I. a fair bit and it doesn't take too long to recognize the ones that can only get bred by a bull. Luckily, a local fellow looking for good cows showed up and took all my non-AI'ers for a pretty penny. They could catch to a bull, but almost never to A.I.

If you ever get bored, sync up all your cows, A.I. them, write down which ones catch. Sync the open ones again and A.I. Everything that doesn't catch the 2nd time A.I., ship 'em. It the fast way to completely turn fertility in your herd around. :cowboy:

Sync the open ones again

Why? You'll be doing some heat observation to see who comes back anyway from the first AI, you might as well AI on the natural heat that follows the synchonised heat as its usually a very fertile heat and turn them out with a bull a week or so later. That way you still get an idea on a cow's ability to settle on AI and you don't have a stretched out calving season or a lot of open cows.

I synchronise and AI once, wait two weeks and turn a bull in for only 2 cycles, in two or three years time you'll also know who are the more fertile cows.

To get a more fertile herd you'll make much faster progress by culling all opens after a short breeding season and not retaining heifers from open or skinny cows for a few years than to try and breed them more fertile.

I like that idea Aaron and Knersie. Synch them all, AI and then let the bulls cover the ones that don't catch the first time. :D

I can only think of one problem with that plan, I'm married to it. Hubby is not big on the AI'ing and he lets me know it constantly. :roll:
I know if I even suggested this he would come unglued. Had a hard enough time doing these 4 cows.

I do like this idea though. Guess it's time for me to get sneaky. :D ;-) What he don't know don't hurt him.

I luv herfrds":257bd1ra said:
What is the biggest cause for an AI to fail?

Assuming your cows are fertile the biggest cause is stressing the cow out prior to inseminating, or trying to inseminate when she is not in standing heat.

How soon after AI'ing do you know that it failed?

Same as with bull service - she either settled or she didn't.

I luv herfrds":2dduwxuq said:
I like that idea Aaron and Knersie. Synch them all, AI and then let the bulls cover the ones that don't catch the first time. :D

I can only think of one problem with that plan, I'm married to it. Hubby is not big on the AI'ing and he lets me know it constantly. :roll:
I know if I even suggested this he would come unglued. Had a hard enough time doing these 4 cows.

I do like this idea though. Guess it's time for me to get sneaky. :D ;-) What he don't know don't hurt him.

I was just offering a suggestion. I don't actually support my own suggestion. I agree with your hubby. Save the money on A.I. and spend it on good Horned bulls. They cover more cows and require less work all around. :cowboy:

I luv herfrds":pfb5606c said:
What is the biggest cause for an AI to fail?
How soon after AI'ing do you know that it failed?
This could be an array of different things:
1. AI Protocol - what Synchronization method are you using? CIDR inserted 55 days post-calving. I believe that CIDR's are the best way to go, but with a little different way. When you insert the CIDR, you should also give them a 2cc shot of Cystorellin to clear any cystic cows prior to breeding. Pull CIDR Day 7 and for moderate framed cows 5 cc of Lutalyse and larger frame cows 6 cc of Lut. This will make a difference.
2. Check your heifers prior to breeding for any malformed reproductive organs- this will save time and money.
3. Pre- breeding health--- 30 days post calving you should worm your cows and give them a MLV like Titanium 5, which will increase conception rates. Never use a Pour-on during AI.
4. Time of year---- Conception rates are higher during the cooler months (fall calvers) than in late Spring (Spring calvers)
5. Nutrition is a big one.... when you are AI'ing cows 55+ days post-calving they are entering their peak milk production phase where their nutritional requirements are the highest all year-- if you drop the ball 30 days prior you won't have good conception rates.
6. Poor semen handling, which includes thawing, protecting the thawed straw from sunlight, etc.
7. Your AI tech may be punk in his/her skill.
8. Becoming too dependent upon heat patches
9. Not following the breeding rules--- ex: standing heat at 6 am --- breed 6 pm. It is better to breed a little later than to breed early.
10. Some cows just wont cycle when you want them to LOL, some may be in standing heat at Noon or at 11 pm- so you might as well forget your private life until breeding season is over.
I would say all these things are important, but Health and Nutrition are usually the biggest factors that cause failure in AI, if everything else is done correctly.

You will know of your failure by day 17 to 21.....................

Latest posts