AI/ET

Help Support CattleToday:

charlie01

Reaction score
Hi
I have a few questions about breeding.

What would be the average price to get an embryo transfer and also to get it fertilized by an AI sire?

What would be the best recipient breed? would it be a dairy cow as the amount of milk produced?

Have no experience with either one but i do know that an embryo is already fertilized.. They give a cow hormones that make her produce multiple eggs, then they fertilize them, collect them, and sell them.

Varies, doing both are expensive, I flushed a cow, and had embryo implanted, when I got through it was around 1000.00 AI is cheaper to a point, the biggest advantage is to try different bull to build ypur herd, I Ai'd 4 one time and it was $400.00. Next time I will do it my self and same the money.

Thats the way to go Charlie, you can introduce a lot of topline genetics to your herd through AI, then down the track if you have some outstanding cows that you want to fast track their offspring to your herd, then you might want to try having them flushed. But first you can achieve a lot with AI and doing it yourself gives you a lot of flexibility, be patient though, it does take experience to get good conception rates. You are young and should adapt to it rapidly and you have plenty of time to get results. As well doing it yourself gives a lot of satisfaction, though not necessarily the cheapest until you get proficient at it

I am going to show my ignorance here, but that is what a student does.

How do you time the AI? What do you look for? In other words, how do you know the old girl is ready?
:hat:

HDRider":z7oat1e5 said:
I am going to show my ignorance here, but that is what a student does.

How do you time the AI? What do you look for? In other words, how do you know the old girl is ready?
:hat:
Unless you're using one of the synch protocols and Timead AI the standard ROT is you breed 12 hours after ovserving her in standing heat (AM-PM rule)

1st> Embryo Costs, Embryo's are usually kinda high if you are seeking the best genetics, at public auction I have had embryos sell for as high as $1200 a piece and as an average around $450-500.. I have bought 30+ embryos and have gotten discounts like 300 or 250 a piece but you have to take a bunch...

2nd> AI, use a protocal and you will have lets say 60 head CIDR'ed and Sync'ed to Time AI.. 56+ or - hours after you pull CIDR you will Time AI... Cows that have not had a observed heat, (stood in heat) which is usually 20-30% of the total head (this example is 12-15 head) give another shot of GnRH and AI at the same time you will get %50 of them bred...

Time and labor are still the largest portion of this process... If you are looking for Good genetics faster this is the avenues you need to improve ... Very few people can afford a $100,000 bull but a $25 straw of semen they can AI cows with and still have calves by him..
Also with buying embryos'.. Cows are only made once.. (unless they are cloned :) so to obtain those genetics I always felt it was worth another $200 over normal to get the good ones.. $500-$750 can buy you some real good genetics..

Latest posts