AI Course

Help Support CattleToday:

Missy

Reaction score
Hi all :D

I am off to do an AI course in 2 weeks and was just wondering if anybody has any tips/tricks or words of wisdom :lol2: to pass on to me before i get there.They would be much appreciated :nod:
Thanks

Well worth the time and money. It can be very tiring on your arm and hand, especially if you have any joint issues. Don't worry if you have trouble at first it will get easier.

CSM

Get one of those springloaded grip developers and strengthen the opposite hand of your writing hand as much as possible in the next two weeks. You'll be glad you did after your first few cows.

Don;t get discouraged if you can;t figure out what is what inside the cow at the beginning. A light will go on and all of a sudden everything will just sort of make sense and fall into place.

If you are anything like me (vertically challenged) take a milk crate to stand on. Makes life oh so much easier.

Also if you are anything like me (short arms) be prepared to spend a lot of time with your face pressed against the cow's butt ... gives a whole new meaning to the phrase 'dancing cheek to cheek'

Keren":3jddya98 said:
gives a whole new meaning to the phrase 'dancing cheek to cheek'

Or "looking for love in all the wrong places"

As was said, don't get frustrated. When I took the course a couple years ago, I couldn't get the hang of it. I would get so frustrated that I think it actually made it harder to learn what I should and shouldn't be doing. The last day I made up my mind that I wouldn't get so worked up if/when I couldn't figure it out and everything seemed to work smooth from then on. Most people use their left hand to handle the cervix, myself included. I have to agree that doing something to add strength in that hand would definately pay off. Even after doing it for a couple years I find that the strength could be better.

Out of curiosity, what course are you taking and where? Please let us know how it goes!

sync and AI my first group of cows this week...i had never been around the process before...i was only the helper...going to an AI school is a must for me...very interesting process

Get in as many cows as possible..take advantage of the situation. Don't be afraid to ask questions. The instructor probably isn't going to be there when you breed yours, so ask them now.....again, get in as many different cows as possible.

Thanks everyone , tips are great :D
Im very excited and nervous at the same time :lol:

The course is run yearly at different towns here in NSW Australia,will let you know how it goes
Can't wait... :nod:

Missy":1ea912g4 said:
Thanks everyone , tips are great :D
Im very excited and nervous at the same time :lol:

The course is run yearly at different towns here in NSW Australia,will let you know how it goes
Can't wait... :nod:
Missy I thought you were in Texas or somewhere like that.
Put your location in the avatar space so folks will know.

Good luck with your AI course, Let us know how it goes.

The first time I took the course, it felt like I was sticking my arm in an empty 55 gallon barrell. Do not be afraid to wallow around in that barrrell and feel everything you can find.

I took the second course in Stillwater, it was much better. Once you understand everything is in there, and you just have to find it, you will be okay. lol I would suggest that you take the palpation course as well, if it is offered.

As has been stated, practice on as many cows as you can while there.

Also, take a clothes pin, heavy rubber band, or a pair of forceps with you to pin up those long gloves to your shoulder. Don't ask me how I know on that one. ;-)

--Marc

lawnviewfarm":2sr8ja9l said:
As has been stated, practice on as many cows as you can while there.

Also, take a clothes pin, heavy rubber band, or a pair of forceps with you to pin up those long gloves to your shoulder. Don't ask me how I know on that one. ;-)

--Marc

I thought a green left shirt sleeve just went with the territory. :nod:

being relative inexperienced at AI I found out the other day that you need to keep your cell phone in your RIGHT pocket!
:lol:
gm

Take your time and don't get as upset as I did. I had a really hard time. We got snowed out of the ranch on the morning we were to go out and just get a feel and start to use our guns. We spent all day in cows on Sat. My arm was so bursed and swollen. We need to do well on our written test, semen handling and get thru 3 crvixs in 30 minutes. Thank god I only needed to get into 2 to pass, due to my other 2 test. I came ome and A.I my heifer and got er on the first try. I breed 3 more, 2 heifers and 1 cow. As far as I know the apear to be prgnant. I had mine preg checked. This year I have only gotten one, the others are due to come back in on Sat.
Have fun and listen to your instructor.

I have only been AI'ing for 3 seasons now, so I'm not much more experienced than you. I would agree with the others who advise you not to get too frustrated. At first, it seems very difficult and if you don't have experience palpating (I didn't) it is hard to locate the cervix much less get the AI gun through it.

When I took the course, we went to a dairy and practiced on the cull cows. Only had about 8 head to practice on and we really didn't spend enough time practicing, but I did get the basics. There is a big difference between a mature dairy cow and a 15 month beef heifer (or cow for that matter). Unfortunately, the beef cows don't seem to stand still and often move when you know that you only have one more ring to pass through. Then it's essentially starting over.

The best piece of advice I can give for someone starting to AI is to build one of these.
http://www.allwestselectsires.com/breedingbox.asp

We built one this year and it turned breeding from a chore to a kinda fun experience. The last 2 years we were AI'ing in an old powder river squeeze chute. We had a homemade palpation cage which worked well enough, but the chute was so short that we would have to catch their head to be able to get behind them. Some would flat out lose it. Even some of the calmer cattle would move quite a bit. Add to that the fact that the tailgate would be dangerously close to your head and breeding was a lot of work.

With this box, we have done much better. The cows feed into it well and most have stood very still. We have a few that I could not get bred last year because they just would not stand still and we have run these in behind another cow and they actually stand better than cows in the front of the box. Also, it's just more comfortable with no bars or the squeeze in the way. I don't know if it's the box or just that I've AI'ed a few more, but I'd say the average time it is taking me to breed a cow has dropped from around 10 minutes to less than 5. I know I'd go broke as an AI tech, but it's ok for our operation.

We built the box 6' tall but otherwise the same as the design for around $300 and it has been well worth it. When this one wears out, we'll redo it with square tubing to make it sturdier, but this design works well.

Latest posts