AI course or not?

Help Support CattleToday:

tjmdo

Reaction score
Well I know I need to take the AI course but I can't get in until May. I've got a seat in the May course. I have a few cows coming into heat in the next few days. I'm gonna order semen and give it a shot. What do you guys think about this?

Do you know anyone who does AI and could come over to help you? You could ask whoever you are ordering semen from if there is anyone in your area. They probably know someone. I bet whoever is selling you semen would give you some pointers and maybe a quick crash course if you asked. If there is someone close, they might be able to come over and help get you started.

Do you have a tank already? Sheaths? AI gun? gloves, tweezers, lube.. I know I am forgetting some things.

I know for me, I would have never been able to successfully AI a cow without taking the course. It isn't because it is super complicated. I just didn't know what to do or how to do it. There are a lot of little steps that make the whole process much easier and help your success rate. The class I went to was 3 days. We spent the morning inside. We spent the afternoons practicing on live cows. The first couple, I felt pretty lost. It takes time for what you learn in the books to sink in, at least it did for me. I am very glad I learned how to AI. Some of the best money I ever spent was going to the AI class.

Good luck!

Go through youtube videos to get a bit of an idea. The average person takes a while to pick it up you may waste time and money going alone but the bit of experience you get groping around may help and provide a lot more relevance to when you take the course.

Ken

tjmdo":1z6afv04 said:
Well I know I need to take the AI course but I can't get in until May. I've got a seat in the May course. I have a few cows coming into heat in the next few days. I'm gonna order semen and give it a shot. What do you guys think about this?
Where you from??

You might be able to get the guy you are getting your semen from to do the AI for you. One thing, if you aren't careful, you can poke the end of the rod through tissue if you get through the cervix, so I would be a little concerned. I did alot of "feeling around" before I ever stuck a breeding rod into a cow. I had an AI tech teach me, and he had me feeling in cows when I was going around with him, for several days, then he had me try the rod. Then I took a refresher course through Select sires and we did alot of practicing at the stockyards on cull cows.

List your area, might be someone on here that would be able and willing to help you out. Semen is not cheap so you don't want to just stick it in there and waste it either. But I do understand that you want to get them caught on their heats. When are you wanting the calves to be born? Might be able to take the course then breed them for spring calves....

tjmdo":39f2y4xp said:
I know absolutely nothing about you, your experience or abilities, but my 1st impression from your post which gives almost zero information other than this individual doesn't plan ahead... must have more money than sense.
Do what you want... you will anyway.

Find a good AI tech in your area or your most likely wasting your time and money if you haven't had experience or at the very least taken the course.

Latest posts