AI Cost

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

How much would it cost to have cattle AI? We run about 40 head and have a young bull that we don't think is getting it done. We don't have enough cattle to get 2 bulls (nor the room). Any advice on our problems or answers to the AI question.

[email protected]

It depends on if you plan on attending an AI school and learning to do it yourself, or have someone else do it for you. Your large animal vet may be able to breed for you, or contact a local dairy that uses AI, any of the semen distribution companies can also take care of it. If you're havinf someone else do it, you will need to scyncronize the cows. If you do it yourself you may want to synchronize any way. There are a number of synch programs, each one varies in cost. Best bet would be to check with your local sources first, especially if you are planning on fall breeding. If spring breeding you will have time to attend a school.

dunmovin farms

> How much would it cost to have
> cattle AI? We run about 40 head
> and have a young bull that we
> don't think is getting it done. We
> don't have enough cattle to get 2
> bulls (nor the room). Any advice
> on our problems or answers to the
> AI question.

You should be able to buy semen and hire the A.I. tech for $35 a head, maybe less if you have one close by. The extra time involved heat checking is "free" if you do it yourself, and consider the time to bring in 1-2 everyday to inseminate.

At 40 head you are big enough to run 2 bulls. The second bull will either breed half or keep the first bull honest, moving from cow to cow instead of staying with one for too long. Either way you get the cows bred.

A.I. is more difficult than most realize, it can be worth the effort, but takes time. We do a lot of A.I. but it takes one man almost full time during breeding season. People with off farm income usually can't afford the time.

Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus Farms Alberta Canada

[email protected]

Latest posts