AI certified

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I completed the AI course at Select Sires today. In two days I successfully bred 8 cows and I c an see how it is one of those things that you need to practice frequently to get better and better at. I would rate the course very high and the instructors were very thorough, patient, knowledgeable. I'll answer any questions I can if anyone has any.

I went through select sires as well about 4 years ago. I was also very pleased with the course. Would highly recommend select sires to anyone who is considering learning how to AI.

Red Bull Breeder":caped6m3 said:
Just got to ask how do you no you breed 8 cows?? Do you no for sure they will calve from your AI.

That is how they stated it but obviously we are not breeding the cows for real as they are practice cows. What I mean is: you have to go through all the steps with real semen starting at the semen tank as the instructors watch every step/move and when you get the semen gun just through the Cervix they check your location and if your right you deposit the semen and that is considered a success. Let me say also those Holsteins are big ole cows. I'm glad my focus is Angus.

In two days I successfully bred 8 cows

Oh, we joked right through the course I did about the calves that were going to result :lol: - all the cows were destined for slaughter and we were using 'training straws' - filler and printed up with bull names, but no semen.

But... I get the impression from reading other threads that practising on relatively low numbers is normal in the US. Whereas we spent most of our time 'inseminating' live cows for five - ten days, very little theory or 'other stuff'.
The last few days some of the inseminations were timed.
I don't know how many cows I 'inseminated' in that time, but it was somewhere between 100 - 150. Those training to be technicians (rather than just to do their own herd) did more.

regolith":3f8n9r7z said:

Oh, we joked right through the course I did about the calves that were going to result :lol: - all the cows were destined for slaughter and we were using 'training straws' - filler and printed up with bull names, but no semen.

But... I get the impression from reading other threads that practising on relatively low numbers is normal in the US. Whereas we spent most of our time 'inseminating' live cows for five - ten days, very little theory or 'other stuff'.
I don't know how many cows I 'inseminated' in that time, but it was somewhere between 100 - 150. Those training to be technicians (rather than just to do their own herd) did more.

I wish we could have inseminated 100-150 cows but I think that would have been fairly unrealistic economically. Plus everyone in there was just learning how for their own personal being

If your course was anything like the Select Sires course I took, or more precisely, if the practice cows were like the ones we practiced on, none of them big ol' Holsteins were in heat as they were all culls. :eek:

But the course was well worth it.

--Marc

lawnviewfarm":16h4c797 said:
If your course was anything like the Select Sires course I took, or more precisely, if the practice cows were like the ones we practiced on, none of them big ol' Holsteins were in heat as they were all culls. :eek:

But the course was well worth it.

--Marc

We also had Herefords and Angus cross which I spent most of my time on.

regolith":3do3jnf1 said:

Sounds like a very good course.
I wonder how they were able to afford to provide that many practice cows?
How much money did it cost to take the course?

if you get the chance to AI some cows for real.i would do it.the more you practice breeding cows in heat the better youll get.an you wont forget all youve learned in AI class.know that it may be awhile before any cows you breed settles.because you are learning.

tncattle":1oypnwpn said:
Red Bull Breeder":1oypnwpn said:
Just got to ask how do you no you breed 8 cows?? Do you no for sure they will calve from your AI.

That is how they stated it but obviously we are not breeding the cows for real as they are practice cows. What I mean is: you have to go through all the steps with real semen starting at the semen tank as the instructors watch every step/move and when you get the semen gun just through the Cervix they check your location and if your right you deposit the semen and that is considered a success. Let me say also those Holsteins are big ole cows. I'm glad my focus is Angus.

Don't be surprise if you get thrown a bit by the difference in the old holsteins versus your angus!
Double R

Ryder":tbc4wdni said:
regolith":tbc4wdni said:

Sounds like a very good course.
The cows we used were donated by a local rancher, they were culls. And boy were they in rough shape. But we had 100 head to practice on, it was a 3 day course, and it was $350.00. Even now, when they offer the course, past students are welcome to come practice again and work out any issues. I know one lady who couldn't get her cow to settle, and a SS rep came to her place and helped her get it done. He lived 3 hours away. Can't say enough about Select Sires.

The course was about $NZ600, and run by LIC at the local slaughterhouse - they parked a caravan for lunch/paperwork and we drafted out cull dairy cows as they came off the trucks then sent them back to the holding pens when we were done practising - so a fresh supply of cows 2 - 3 times a day.
But it's put me off selling my culls at this time of year :( Wouldn't want it to be one of mine that got practised on.

I think I was the only one of the 8 people on the course who paid to do it. The others were training as LIC techs, and two or three had been doing their own herd for years and were just old enough now to have spare time to train up and go and do other people's cows - 2 week course to be a technician, 1 week for DIY training but the instructors reckoned it was too expensive and invited me back for the second week :D
The cost included having the tutors check you doing some of your own cows in the following mating season - but I never took that offer up, as my in-calf rates seem to be pretty good.

I just finished my first day at the AI course at Mississippi State University. I'll keep ya'll posted on how the next two days go. Right now I am sitting in my hotel room hoping I sleep well on an unfamiliar bed :cowboy:

Our cows were bought from auction (butcher cull cows) and were at a dairy where we practiced. They then were due to head off to the slaughter house. There was two that ended up staying at the dairy for a few extra months. We determined that they were close to calving and so the dairyman kept them to calve them out. "free calf" no lose if it didn't work out but possible profit for the dairyman.
Double R

I took the course in 2002 from SS right after I graduated college. They said it wasn't as serious a class as some of you have taken. I wish it was however because I feel I would of learned the technique better. I am not comfortable that I can get the gun to the right place. Hard for me to feel the cervix and get through properly. My father has been AI'ing my small red angus herd since he has had lots of experience from when he was in the dairy business. I know I need to be able to do it myself but it is hard to put a $20 straw in a cow and not be able to get through the cervix when he seems to be such a pro. He really has great results. Any tips would be appreciated.

I took the course in 2002 from SS right after I graduated college. They said it wasn't as serious a class as some of you have taken. I wish it was however because I feel I would of learned the technique better. I am not comfortable that I can get the gun to the right place. Hard for me to feel the cervix and get through properly. My father has been AI'ing my small red angus herd since he has had lots of experience from when he was in the dairy business. I know I need to be able to do it myself but it is hard to put a $20 straw in a cow and not be able to get through the cervix when he seems to be such a pro. He really has great results. Any tips would be appreciated.

The only tip is, practice, practice, practice! You'll need to start doing it yourself if you are ever going to be proficient. It seems odd to me, but there are some people that just never get the knack for it even with practice.