AI Certification

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
Well, I'm looking for a new job. I am currently a full time student, and am getting my bachelors degree in Agricultural Business. I work at my local tack and feed store and have a few head of cattle that I run cow/calf and also finish out steers for locals in my town. I absolutely love anything to do with cattle and livestock. I would love to learn how to judge cattle or work in some sort of genetic/breeding aspect of cattle. I have also considered getting AI certified so that way I can do that until I get my Ag degree.
Any ideas or help would be appreciated!

Learning to perform AI is certainly a handy skill to have and enjoyable. To be able to go out and do it for a fee straight after doing a course I would be a bit sceptical. To be proficient takes a lot of practice. Some people hit the ground running but I would say they would be the minority, most take a lot of practice to become proficient.

I would certainly go ahead and do a course and get the ball rolling.

Ken

Ken nailed it. You can take a course through ABS, or Cattle Vision (MO) or possibly other semen studs.
You need to go to your profile and fill in your location, so everytime you post, people will know where you are located. You may have stated where you are located, but I wouldn't remember - and not everyone reads every post. If you notice under our avatar on the left, it shows where we are from. Sometimes it makes a lot of difference how we answer questions.

Learning to perform AI is certainly a handy skill to have and enjoyable. To be able to go out and do it for a fee straight after doing a course I would be a bit sceptical. To be proficient takes a lot of practice. Some people hit the ground running but I would say they would be the minority, most take a lot of practice to become proficient.

I would certainly go ahead and do a course and get the ball rolling.

Ken
Thanks! I think it would be very beneficial for me to learn this skill and practice it until I become proficient. I do have a good Veternarian than I'm sure would let me go along with her when she performs AI's.

Ken nailed it. You can take a course through ABS, or Cattle Vision (MO) or possibly other semen studs.
You need to go to your profile and fill in your location, so everytime you post, people will know where you are located. You may have stated where you are located, but I wouldn't remember - and not everyone reads every post. If you notice under our avatar on the left, it shows where we are from. Sometimes it makes a lot of difference how we answer questions.
Thanks Jeanne! I just updated my location. It also tough because I have not found a class for AI near me in Northern Ca.

Thanks Jeanne! I just updated my location. It also tough because I have not found a class for AI near me in Northern Ca.
Select sires offers courses in Turlock sometimes. The COVID lock downs have had an effect on them for this year I'm sure. You'll have a hard time finding any classes in CA other than that. I drove to Wash many years ago for my class because I missed the one they had in Turlock and no more were offered for the year.
I will caution you to read up on CA laws (and talk to your vet) about outside AI work without a vet on site or working with you. I ran into that years ago when I got back from ET school and found out there was a lot of issues with AI'ing/ET for hire independently without a vet on site. Things may have changed since I researched it years ago but I doubt it. Especially in this state. I remember I couldn't AI any cattle I didn't own myself without a vet on site. It was difficult to get the hormones needed as well (local vets didn't want the liability) if they were being used on outside cattle. Maybe your vets won't have a problem with it at all. Just a heads up so you don't have issues down the line. Hopefully things have changed but it put a major damper on my business plans and the ET school didn't even know about it until I asked for help when I got back. Good luck! AI is loads of fun and even with all the legal/vet issues it has been well worth it.

Select sires offers courses in Turlock sometimes. The COVID lock downs have had an effect on them for this year I'm sure. You'll have a hard time finding any classes in CA other than that. I drove to Wash many years ago for my class because I missed the one they had in Turlock and no more were offered for the year.
I will caution you to read up on CA laws (and talk to your vet) about outside AI work without a vet on site or working with you. I ran into that years ago when I got back from ET school and found out there was a lot of issues with AI'ing/ET for hire independently without a vet on site. Things may have changed since I researched it years ago but I doubt it. Especially in this state. I remember I couldn't AI any cattle I didn't own myself without a vet on site. It was difficult to get the hormones needed as well (local vets didn't want the liability) if they were being used on outside cattle. Maybe your vets won't have a problem with it at all. Just a heads up so you don't have issues down the line. Hopefully things have changed but it put a major damper on my business plans and the ET school didn't even know about it until I asked for help when I got back. Good luck! AI is loads of fun and even with all the legal/vet issues it has been well worth it.
Yes I was wondering that. The restrictions in our state are insane. I will talk to my vet to see if she has any idea if the laws have changed. I think that it would still be beneficial to learn AI for my own cattle and it is something that interests me. Thanks for all the good tips and advice. Turlock is close to me so that would be great if I could take a class there. Where did you take yours in Washington?

Yes I was wondering that. The restrictions in our state are insane. I will talk to my vet to see if she has any idea if the laws have changed. I think that it would still be beneficial to learn AI for my own cattle and it is something that interests me. Thanks for all the good tips and advice. Turlock is close to me so that would be great if I could take a class there. Where did you take yours in Washington?
I absolutely recommend you still learning to do it. Other than the expense I don't regret going to ET school either. It has all been the best for our ranch. Opened up so many options and I have always loved Repro work.
Burlington Washington at another of select's offices is where I ended up taking mine. It was many years ago now. Great class. Learned so much which fueled my fire for it. Came home pretty confident and did great my first season. Also you get a class discount on supplies so I got my tank, supplies and a bunch of semen that came home with me.

Latest posts