AI breeding from another country?

Help Support CattleToday:

tamarack

Reaction score
Last year i aied some of my pb shorthorn cows to a bull from austraila will the calves do good in the different climate of northern canada or will it make little differance as they are same breed? i know the other southern breeds like brahma (sp) might not do as well with thiner hides but will they climatise as they are half of the cattle they are ai to?

There werre Aussie shorthorn bulls used back in the 70's from the Mandalong stud-maybe some shorthorn guys who used them could tell you. I've used some Angus semen from Australia and they did good.

I can't see a problem in using Aussie bulls in your program I'm always using American & Canadian bulls in our dairy herd(in fact will be using a lot more as I'm not keen on any of the recent aussie & new zealand bulls). The only problem I have is a certain bull may not work within our herd & environment, but can be used in a different herd with better results.

I'm an Aussie Shorthorn breeder, have used a number of Canadian bulls here with success, and have just returned from Canada visiting Shorthorn breeders who've used Aussie bulls there.

No, there is absolutely no reason why a bull shouldn't work for you, provided it's the right type. Can you tell us what bull you used?

The shorthorn bull i used to ai with was Belmore Jackaroo has good stats. and looked very good in the pictures said to be one of the top bulls in the durham program in austraila. thanks for the input on this topic any other bulls stand out to ai with?

Belmore Jackaroo

belmorejackaroo.jpg

I just bred my few angus cows to a scottish bull so i hope the calves are able to understand english when they are born.

While I got some Scotch Irish way back on my daddy's side, I confess I don't understand nary a word they say over there.

pdfangus":qj2lbzlo said:
I just bred my few angus cows to a scottish bull so i hope the calves are able to understand english when they are born.

While I got some Scotch Irish way back on my daddy's side, I confess I don't understand nary a word they say over there.

When I was in Scotland they had a harder time understanding me than I did of them. :nod:

Latest posts