AI bred cow

Help Support CattleToday:

JeffK-MN

Reaction score
I purchased a registered black angus cow that was AI bred on July 6, 2013 and then put out to pasture with a bull.

How long do I wait before I'm sure it was AI bred or if it was bred by the bull?

Thanks.

Jeff

She's at 287 days now, in my heard that's still short of the average gestation time of 288 days... I have had them go 296 before, though rarely. I'd give her a week still for the AI calf

Yes she is showing signs that she is getting closer.
But as of today nothing she is now 289 days since AI breeding
I'm know she will have a calf but the AI bull she was bred with was one of the reason I bought her now. Thanks for all the info Jeff

She finaly had her calf it is a real nice bull calf.
No trouble at all. 21 days late
Could this still be AI or bull?
Thanks for the info Jeff

If she was with a bull within 2 heat cycles it could be either, but I'm betting on the bull. That;s why we use a different breed for clean up.

It is highly unlikely that this calf was sired by the AI bull. Different breeds have different lengths of gestation. Angus is approximately 281. I believe Herefords are about 288. You mention your cow is registered Angus. I raise registered Angus cows and most of my calves are born between 275 days and 287 days. I record when I see the bull mounting or following. I have been able to determine gestation on many births. I also have commercial cows with Hereford, Simmental, and other breeds. The are usually longer gestation. I also do some AI every year. For some reason, almost all of the AI bulls have shorter gestations. You will often hear from others that you need to start looking for calves out of certain AI bulls two weeks early. I believe this is because many AI bulls have been selected for small birth weights and calving ease.

If your cow calved today she is at 304 days or 23 days over. Since an average heat cycle is 18 to 23 days it would be right on time for the back up bull. Unless the calf is over 100 pounds, I would not even bother on the blood test, but for $18 you can send a sample in to AAA and find out for sure. Artificial Insemination fails about 1/3 of the time, even with a skilled breeder. It is more successful with natural heats than when synchronized and time bred, but never approaches the success rate of a good walking bull. Sorry, but I doubt the calf is AI.