AI and Synch

Help Support CattleToday:

beefmasters

Reaction score
I need some advise on a cow i wanted to ai.I have never tried to ai her before and know nothing about her usual heats other than she try's to gain ahead days each year so pretty fertile.

I gave her a shot of gnrh and inserted a cidr-starting from 0 days to the 7th day then gave her a shot of PG(estrumate).Cow was 57 days postpartum when i started.Then i started watching for heat-had a kmar and tail paint on her.At about 96 hours i thought i could see some mucous discharge(clear) and a bull that passed by the facility she was in seemed interested.

However, the others with her never smelled of her-tried to ride her-nothing.One of the ones in with her usually try's to ride the hair off of anything in heat but no interest.If i had not seen the discharge and the bull being some what interested i would of thought no heat ?

My question at this time is how long do i have to wait to start this process over again---and should i maybe consider doing timed ai next time.

Appreciate any advise.

How long ago did you pull the cidr? If you want to repeat the whole proccess then you can start it at any time but you can also "cheat" with good results if we know about where she is in her cycle and save both time and money.
Next time I'd recomend not worrying over heat detection. just give her the shot and breed her when it's convenient for YOU and sleep better at night.

cow pollinater":30qhzfjl said:
How long ago did you pull the cidr? If you want to repeat the whole proccess then you can start it at any time but you can also "cheat" with good results if we know about where she is in her cycle and save both time and money.
Next time I'd recomend not worrying over heat detection. just give her the shot and breed her when it's convenient for YOU and sleep better at night.

Sorry, I just now got back to the computer.I pulled the cidr the late evening of 11-24-11.So today is the 7th day.

I know---i should have asked for help sooner.I appreciate your trying to assist me.

Based on the information you've given us I'd say that the mucous and interest from the bull four days after you pulled the cidr was her heat. So eight days minus the four days that it took her to come into heat puts her four days into builing a corpus lutium. Give her a shot of lut on the sixth of this month. I would advise going ahead and giving her the gnrh two days later and breeding her but if you're more comfortable seeing her in heat then this one will likely be a little more obvious than the last one.

Cow Pollinater,

I thank you for going to the time and trouble to give me the information.Many thanks sir. :tiphat:

I found this spreadsheet online and it has been helpful in helping us plan our AI work http://www.iowabeefcenter.org/estrus_synch.html most of you folks have probably already used the same kind of thing but thought I would share for those that haven't. It is a pretty simple tool to use just register and it will let you download the spreadsheet put in the type protocol you want to use be it watch for heat or timed AI and it will give you the set up, it even give you the calendar all filled out for when you do each step of the selected protocol.

Gizmom

When AIing, we use the time method and have been very secussful with it. You can drive yourself crazy trying to fugure out when she is in standing heat. I have seen times when nothing would pay any attention to her and I have seen times when she would not stand still, but we go ahead and AI her when her time is up. Works good for us.

Latest posts