AI and ET

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

When superovulating, what is the standard breeding dose? Also, if you manage to get lucky and actually suceed in putting a handfull of calves on the ground, what are the registry requirements concerning flush siblings?

[email protected]

> When superovulating, what is the
> standard breeding dose? Also, if
> you manage to get lucky and
> actually suceed in putting a
> handfull of calves on the ground,
> what are the registry requirements
> concerning flush siblings?

I would use one straw of semen to breed and your breed association would have the registery requirments. I would check with them before I begin flushing.

[email protected]

We have used one straw 6 hours after the cow starts to stand and another every 12 hours until she is past standing. On some very expensive semen we did one straw at 6 hours and another 24 hours later. Check with the individual breed registry, but for Angus, registration isn't much harder than with an AI calf. You can register as many ET calves as you get out of the mating in what ever year you get them. The registration form asks for the embryo removal date (flush date), so you will need to keep track of that. You pay $10 extra for ET registrations and still have to pay for AI certs unless you own the sire. The sire has to be DNA typed to register AI or ET calves so it is a good idea to send in a DNA card when you collect a bull. If the worst happens and a bull kicks the bucket before you DNA him, they will do a DNA sample from a straw of semen.

More than you asked, so I will quit now!

[email protected]

Latest posts