AI and ET Costs

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven":2vghjqfv said:
bse":2vghjqfv said:
The Select Sires Class is in Spring Hill in the spring.
I don't find heifers to be any easier. I can do 50 cows and be ready for more, 50 heifers and my arm hurts.

Barry. I don't do large numbers but as far as doing a heifer or a cow, makes no difference to me. I got a cow that is very docile until I breed her. Last year she squirmed so bad it made the whole experience awful for both of us. I got 2 doses of xylazine from the vet so when she comes in this year, I will give her a dose in the neck ( ;-) ) and wait 20 to 30 minutes before I AI her. On the other hand, my heifers last year were easy.
Big difference in breeding a few and 50 head. After 20 or 30 head I've had enough fun, and I'm slap wore out.

I recently went through the class put on by select sires and the university of Tennessee and really enjoyed it. I got my hands in a lot of cows and had a good time. I think the class costed 450, around 300 for a hotel, and quite a bit in an AI Kit but it will make life easier for me in the long run. The waiting list is long and it will more than likely take over a year to get in a class.

I took a 3 day class and felt it was worth it just for the knowledge gained even without me doing the AI. I was pretty full of myself going into it thinking I'd take the class, buy some equipment and be good to go breeding on my own - I certainly got an education! It's not like teaching someone to wire a switch...

Used AI tech until he retired, then started using local vet since they didn't have a replacement close by for awhile. Works pretty good for me, I give all the shots and they come out to inseminate. They also store my canes free. This does take some scheduling coordination, but a whole lot cheaper than me buying and maintaining equipment / nitrogen with just a few head!

BR

I am vertically challenged so heifers are easier for me for that reason. Also the internal parts haven't been stretched out during calving so easier for me to get my hand around the cervix. I imagine each person has a type they find easier to work with. We have never had one that we needed to give a shot to calm her down enough to breed, hopefully never will. I imagine one like that is more difficult to get settled.

Gizmom

Gizmom

Ron, try putting a bar behind her and don't catch her head, I do that sometimes on one that's a little figity, or wants to pray with her head caught, that makes a terrible angle!!!!

I really don't mind breeding heifers, it's just that I guess it cuts blood flow to my hand making it cramp, I do know my limits!!!! True everybody has the ones they like better.

I did some relief breeding for Select Sires tech for several years. He taught me, then about a year or two later I took the SS AI class. 2 days working on stockyard cull cows after a couple of repo tracts from slaughtered cows; put in a plastic bag so you couldn't see anything. Interesting but still was helpful. It is true some people never get the feel for it, but most can get a fair amount of success .

It is real important to be able to do cows that are in full heat as it is so much easier to get the rod in. I personally much prefer cows than heifers. I find the cervix in a heifer to be soo tiny and thin; but I started out on dairy cows so they were already stretched out some. I still often close my eyes while "seeing" the cervix in my mind and my son has teased me about it. But whatever works. And yes, sometimes it helps to get the cow/heifer in and put a bar behind and not catch the head so they don't fight as much, but I find that the biggest thing I fight, is one that will crowd over to the side so I am having trouble getting it in straight and being able to feel at the same time.
I only breed on natural heats, we have a 90 day calving window for most because of putting them out to pasture with bulls and not always being able to get the bulls out to keep a 60 day window. But if the cows are in good condition, we find most calves come in a 6-8 week time period.
I watch the ones I want to AI for a month to catch heats, and have given them a shot of Lut to get their cycles closer on occasion, but not too often. I allow them 2 AI breedings, then they go with a bull in most cases.
You can find used tanks at auctions, like dairy dispersals, and sometimes an AI rep will know of one for sale. Haven't priced a new one lately. A breeding box with a rod, sheaths, a thermos and thermometer for the hot water bath, gloves for you, and then the tank and semen. The biggest expense after that is periodic nitrogen recharges for the tank and semen of your choosing.
Agree on getting someone knowledgeable to help talk you through the first few attempts too.

It`s no doubt worth taking the class and doing it yourself. With A.I. you can match the bulls to the needs of individual cows rather than the one size fits all with a herd bull. I feel you can make real progress with A.I. instead of a bull. Even using semen that`s only $20 -$25 a straw those bulls are probably way better than any herd bull you can afford. Just my :2cents:

If you have decided to go with AI or ET, a lot of breeders have found the new heat detectors on the market are working great. Even hear a lot of them say they love how good they work. Right now the easiest way to find them is on Amazon by searching for the brand name AI Tags.

bse, A.I.TAGS are usually found at the $1.35 range in the US. Do you feel that is too high a price for you to pay? Have you tried them?

I only pay $1 for estrotec, they look the same to me, unless there's something im not seeing, estrogen can be bought all day at $57 for 50 I get along great with them.
So to answer havent tried them and yes to much!!!!

Very good you asked about the difference. To have a higher success rate breeding, rather than a scratch off layer, AI Tags have a rub-off layer. It takes the mounting action to remove the top layer, so no more guessing if it was mounting action or something else that removed the top layer. At trade shows the demonstration shows how you can't remove the top layer, even when rubbing with a quarter. Another benefit is the bright signal color will eventually turn white under excessive mounting, a sign that the optimal time to service is at hand or may have passed. Finally, the adhesive activates with the heat of the cow resulting in greater adhesion. These are the reasons that AI and ET breeders say that they love using AI Tags. CRI plans to carry AI Tags, currently they are only available on the Amazon under AI Tags.

Please do let me know if you have any questions on the use of AI Tags, I'm always available to answer any questions.

Looks like a better product and I can get use to the little extra $. I have many cedar trees and those scratches are a problem. I just restocked on the other brand so it'll be a while before i can give these a go.

AI Certainly no knocking your product, I know nothing about it except it costs more, for something better it may be worth it. But I get along great with the other and can tell scratch from heat. If I'm at a trade show and see it, I'll certainly take a look

I thought product sales were a no no.
Anybody that watches cattle can tell the difference between a few scratch marks and standing heat.

in my opinion AI would be your best investment.

you have the luxury then of selecting whatever you desire in a bull or bulls and breeding each cow how ever you want that cow bred.

I have bought embryos and have harvested embryos from our own cows...it was worthwhile but we felt we made more progress by trying to get every cow bred AI than we did by sinking a lot of money in embryo transfer for a limited number of calves..

pdfangus":2ea833l6 said:
in my opinion AI would be your best investment.

you have the luxury then of selecting whatever you desire in a bull or bulls and breeding each cow how ever you want that cow bred.

I have bought embryos and have harvested embryos from our own cows...it was worthwhile but we felt we made more progress by trying to get every cow bred AI than we did by sinking a lot of money in embryo transfer for a limited number of calves..

I agree, in my small herd of 25 cows I like to keep about 5 cow lines for diversity, ET would make me very top heavy in those lines. I get 90% bred to AI. If I am having trouble getting a replacement heifer from a cow sexed semen is very usefull.

Ken