AI - 1 or 2?

Help Support CattleToday:

dawnrogerl

Reaction score
We are somewhat new at having our cows AI'ed and are using a technichen recommended by a very large local breeder. When we had our first cow AI'ed he ask whether I wanted to use 1 or 2 straws. After discussing it he said that he likes to use 2 and that it gives you a better chance of taking. As it turned out we used 2 and she still did not take. She is now bred. I have been thinking about this and wonder if using 2 makes any sense. Is more better?

Well you get twice as much semen in the cow, but if your technician is not really very good youu're just wasting semen and a lot of money. Sounds like he doesn't have a lot of confidence. A good AI tech can split a straw and do a minimum of 2 cows with one straw.

I agree with TB . We used 1/2 straws often on heifers that were in heat at the same time and we wanted to use the same bull with good success..

But, is he using two at once or using one at standing and then another 12 hours later ?
Using two at once will not help your chances if your heat detection is off ,it will just cost you more money.

Thanks for both of your replies !!!!! Your thoughts reinforce my thinking that one straw is as good as 2. He is using 2 at one time, but like you said, if the timing is off (which is in my control) then it don't make any difference how many straws you use. I am inclined to only use one straw from now on. Again Thanks

dawnrogerl":3uyscl88 said:
No Dun, I see where you are going there :D I have the semen

It's a waste of dollars to use more then 1 unit per breeding. If the timing isn;t right or the tech doesn;t deposit it "on target" the additional straw might as well be squirted on the ground. IF, the semen has been properly handled from freezing until deposition AND it's put up with the quality that the stndards specify, one is more then adequate.

dun":111tc67h said:
dawnrogerl":111tc67h said:
No Dun, I see where you are going there :D I have the semen

It's a waste of dollars to use more then 1 unit per breeding. If the timing isn;t right or the tech doesn;t deposit it "on target" the additional straw might as well be squirted on the ground. IF, the semen has been properly handled from freezing until deposition AND it's put up with the quality that the stndards specify, one is more then adequate.

dun, thanks for reminding us of one more important thing and that is handling of semen and equipment and also getting your cow as clean as possible before entering. Sterilize equipment after each use.

TexasBred":1ugsm6j8 said:
Sterilize equipment after each use.

Huh? The only thing that touches the cow (usually) is the sheath. If I get crap on it I wash it and dowse it with alcohol. Havne;t done that in years.

dun":3qjkwhy3 said:
TexasBred":3qjkwhy3 said:
Sterilize equipment after each use.

Huh? The only thing that touches the cow (usually) is the sheath. If I get crap on it I wash it and dowse it with alcohol. Havne;t done that in years.

You're lucky. I don't AI (my job is to put the post behind her in the chute :p )but my wife has done thousands and she say's some cattle with a long tract requires insertion of almost the entire gun. Additionally you can get fluids between the pipette and the gun which could pose potential problems. She just prefers to sterilize after each use as well as wash down the cows vulva until very clean and I pull the post when she's finished.

TexasBred":3px7ht82 said:
some cattle with a long tract requires insertion of almost the entire gun. Additionally you can get fluids between the pipette and the gun which could pose potential problems.

Sounds like every Braunvieh or Brown Swiss I ever AIed.

I'm baffled by the liquid getting inside the seath, but I've only been at this for some 30 years or so.

dun":xl6qf2a5 said:
TexasBred":xl6qf2a5 said:
some cattle with a long tract requires insertion of almost the entire gun. Additionally you can get fluids between the pipette and the gun which could pose potential problems.

I'm baffled by the liquid getting inside the seath, but I've only been at this for some 30 years or so.

Big mature Brangus and Holsteins.

TexasBred":1kearja3 said:
dun":1kearja3 said:
TexasBred":1kearja3 said:

Big mature Brangus and Holsteins.

Only bred one Brangus and she was a heifer, never have had that problem with Holsteins. I usually can manipulate the cervix towards the rear on them.

dun":2588oloz said:
TexasBred":2588oloz said:

I'm baffled by the liquid getting inside the seath, but I've only been at this for some 30 years or so.[/quote]

Didn't mean to question you or your 30 years experience....But a tube within a tube that doesn't fit extremely tight ??? There is room for mucous, discharge or whatever you want to call it. As for the 30 years. We can all learn something everyday just might save us a $$$. Won't brag too much on the wife but will put her up against anybody anywhere. The lady is good, but she's probably bred 20,000 cows too. I'll just let her do it her way.

TexasBred":26i287we said:
I'll just let her do it her way.

I would too, just never seen it. And now with those accused little blue plastic gaskets (which I remove) it should be impossible.