AHA "HYC" prefix

Help Support CattleToday:

alexfarms

Reaction score
I was browsing through the hypotrichosis, HYC, designated pedigrees on the AHA website and I came accross this one: http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... 3&9=515C5A

This animal is 7/8 horned pedigree from a mostly horned herd and the 1/8 polled part of the pedigree is IHRY GK RACE. I have always considered hypotrichosis to be exclusive to traditional polled Hereford genetics. Did Race carry this? If he did then surely there should be quite a few of them carrying it with him in their pedigrees. It seems like pedigree error would be unlikely to have brought HYC in, since few polled bulls were used in the herd. Any thoughts?

alexfarms":139skhe3 said:
I was browsing through the hypotrichosis, HYC, designated pedigrees on the AHA website and I came accross this one: http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... 3&9=515C5A

This animal is 7/8 horned pedigree from a mostly horned herd and the 1/8 polled part of the pedigree is IHRY GK RACE. I have always considered hypotrichosis to be exclusive to traditional polled Hereford genetics. Did Race carry this? If he did then surely there should be quite a few of them carrying it with him in their pedigrees. It seems like pedigree error would be unlikely to have brought HYC in, since few polled bulls were used in the herd. Any thoughts?

LS Beau Victor 1 30 is a known carrier and he sits 8 generations back in the pedigree through HH Magnum 9696/Explosion. Are they carriers? Don't know until they are tested. It is possible that paths to other unknown carriers do exist. If anyone has a straw of Explosion or Magnum semen to test to see if he was a carrier, it would be good to know. HY is a very old defect and could lurk in a lot of places.

There are 2 known carriers that it would be good to know where it comes from in their lineage. If anyone has an idea.....
FHR GENETIC GIANT {HYC} (P20161119)
FOF WF 3N TANNER A36 {HYC} (P23577601)

(Most others trace to either RWJ Victor J3 212, LS Beau Victor 1 30 or the cow Justa K Nerva 1062A)

buymorebulls":2ccsfejc said:
alexfarms":2ccsfejc said:

LS Beau Victor 1 30 is a known carrier and he sits 8 generations back in the pedigree through HH Magnum 9696/Explosion. Are they carriers? Don't know until they are tested. It is possible that paths to other unknown carriers do exist. If anyone has a straw of Explosion or Magnum semen to test to see if he was a carrier, it would be good to know. HY is a very old defect and could lurk in a lot of places.

There are 2 known carriers that it would be good to know where it comes from in their lineage. If anyone has an idea.....
FHR GENETIC GIANT {HYC} (P20161119)
FOF WF 3N TANNER A36 {HYC} (P23577601)

(Most others trace to either RWJ Victor J3 212, LS Beau Victor 1 30 or the cow Justa K Nerva 1062A)

I had forgotten that EXPLOSION was out of a polled cow.

A few years ago, I spoke to an older gentleman (who is still involved with Herefords) and he told me that years ago he got burned with RWJ VICTOR J3 212. He said he and a few other breeders got together with the APHA breed improvement director(who I believe was Jim Gibb at that time) and they traced the hypotrichosis back to DOMESTIC ANXIETY JR, who appeared in a lot of the "Circle T " prefix cattle. Domestic Anxiety Jr is 9 generations back in FOF WF 3N TANNER A36 through the OV DOM MISHIEF 28D cow. I could get you the name of the gentleman who told me this, I believe he had a chart or some kind of paper on it.

alexfarms":ovsng0si said:

This animal is 7/8 horned pedigree from a mostly horned herd and the 1/8 polled part of the pedigree is IHRY GK RACE. I have always considered hypotrichosis to be exclusive to traditional polled Hereford genetics. Did Race carry this? If he did then surely there should be quite a few of them carrying it with him in their pedigrees.

Not true. I grew up with exclusive horned genetics and we had several bulls that sired hypo calves over the years.

Brian

Latest posts