AHA elections

Help Support CattleToday:

I think this could work:

Start a new association for Herefords in America. The membership is free and each registered animal is free. Have corporate sponsors, like PetSmart, Purina, Tyson, etc. able to place their name on each animal along with the breeder's chosen name for a small fee. It is obvious the AHA has a political system preventing it from great success.

Frankie":23gtmx7o said:
Did you guys vote or put your name in the hat for a seat on the board?

i don't know who you are asking but i don't have the slightest desire to be a part of AHA politics. i do however serve on the mha board for last four years. i make a point to get a vote from membership on candidate/s to endorse by the mha. we give that to our nominated reps - but they never have voted the way our association/membership has. go figure.... i personally don't have a problem with any of the guys that got elected. i would like to see moon get a chance someday.

finally, got updated financial statements done for the banker man.... hope they don't take after some of the canadians bankers as of late. maybe i can get around the winter pasture fence for the calves yet today before it gets dark. they are done bawling and need to get back out. preg checked heifers yesterday and bangs vaccinated heifer calves. 87 out of 89 commercial heifers bred on 45 days natural service to 4 mid april born yearling bulls on the driest year we have ever recorded.... go figure why i don't value herefords as a termial breed.

HerefordSire":3v4dd4kr said:
I think this could work:

Start a new association for Herefords in America. The membership is free and each registered animal is free. Have corporate sponsors, like PetSmart, Purina, Tyson, etc. able to place their name on each animal along with the breeder's chosen name for a small fee. It is obvious the AHA has a political system preventing it from great success.

Now that is creative thinking, but I don't think it could ever be made to work in real life.

nice website Hereford76, the sunshine lad bull looks pretty interesting, he looks like he has a better chance of 'doing it all' than those previously referenced!

MO_cows":31jjt6f2 said:
HerefordSire":31jjt6f2 said:
I think this could work:

Now that is creative thinking, but I don't think it could ever be made to work in real life.

I am almost positive it will work. I have spent quite a bit of time researching this. The other main change would be there is one vote for each member. Not one vote for each registered head per member. This will encourage equal rights and fairness. I figure about 5,000,000 animals could be registered in about 5 years.

The trick would be to get someone like Steve Jobs to lead the association.

The way it is now with the AHA, almost all members are getting the shaft.

Since most educated steak eaters now know that Herefords offer the best tasting meat, with the exception of Wagyu, the free price for ranchers is needed to increase the volume to supply the expected huge demand.

You can think of the new system as following the internet model of free versus newspapers which could eventually go belly up.

I should also explain a little about the model I thought of that works similar to Google's model...

When selling the rights for a company to place their name on one animal....

a web site is established with bids like an auction. One company has enough money where they could buy all the rights for all animals in every breed without an auction. An auction will encourage other companies to participate and drive the prices up for the association.

Pretty clever eh?

HerefordSire":2umri3wz said:
I should also explain a little about the model I thought of that works similar to Google's model...

a web site is established with bids like an auction. One company has enough money where they could buy all the rights for all animals in every breed without an auction. An auction will encourage other companies to participate and drive the prices up for the association.

Pretty clever eh?

There are two other items I haven't mentioned.

One is the association will be global, not just American and not just Pan American. So you could theoretically have a Russian Company bidding on an American bullock. This will drive prices up further for the association and encourage Patriotic competition.

The other is combining one association for all breeds. Each breed will be a separate subcomponent but all breeds will be comparable for EPD numbers, which by the way, will be newly classified according to majority vote, and not the political BFI.

HerefordSire":8wqd0c6a said:

Pretty clever eh?

Maybe clever, but not at all feasible.

So you would make membership and registration free?? Well open the doors wide because the "granola group" is about to rush in - the fruits, the nuts, and the flakes.

What incentive is there for a company to want their name on an animal? And even if they did, what if the company isn't one that the animal's owner wants to accept? How would you like your bull's name to include Tampax? Or how about the teetotaler that gets sponsored by Jack Daniels? And the sponsoring companies would put on all kinds of terms and conditions to protect their corporate image. The participating breeders would be "selling their souls" to corporate America. Why don't you ask a chicken or pork producer how that's working out for them?

Keep thinking, HerefordSire...you might come up with something that would work, but this ain't it.

Frankie":3gpuhbvl said:
Did you guys vote or put your name in the hat for a seat on the board?

Members don't get a vote directly for the board. Members vote for delegates. Each member gets a number of votes based on the number of calves they have registered in the last calendar year. The more calves you register, the more votes you get. Board members are nominated by a nominating committee. The nominating committe is selected by the current board. I have voted for delegates in the past, although I didn't send in my vote this year because I got a ballot for the Nebraska delegates and I now live in Kansas. Yes I have filed a change of address with the AHA, a couple years ago. Yes they send my mail to my Kansas address and they put my Nebraska address on all my pedigrees, but they do put my Kansas address on all of my owned cattle on the pedigree lookup on the AHA website. No I didn't contact them to clear this up, life is too short. If I get ticked off enough sometime I may call them. My suspicion or fear is.....My address can't be changed on my official lifetime membership(which has been in my family for over 50 years), because memberships can long be transfered...so they may want to charge me for a new membership and charge me a transfer fee on each of my animals just because i moved. Why go there? I did allow my name to be placed in nomination for a delegate when I lived in Nebraska once and no I was not elected. I did go to that meeting though and I went to the "Breeders Forum" and I raised my hand to ask a question and someone in charge said something like...yes, I guess we can answer a question from a nondelegate. Really too much to bother with.

HerefordSire":1vlekvqi said:
IF some company WANTED to put their name on an animal NOW, all they would have to do is pay a $1000 for some calf.....then pay the breed association to change the name on the registry papers. For a modest $82,000 a year, plus expenses, they could hire me fulltime to take care of the needs of their company bovine. IF they wanted to read about themself in the Hereford World, Angus Journal, Cattle Today, Alabama Cattleman, Progressive Farmer, Sports Illustrated or People Magazine all they have to do is buy an ad. The only reason why Coke, Pepsi, Budweiser (who already has something similar going on with the Clydesdales), Ford, Honda, Toyota, John Deere, Caterpillar, Kroger, Wal-Mart, Berkshire Hathaway, Goldman Sachs, Levis, Purina, etc don't own bulls NOW is that they think their advertising dollar could be better used somewhere else and/or nobody has pitched the idea.

Maybe clever, but not at all feasible.

I disagree.

So you would make membership and registration free?? Well open the doors wide because the "granola group" is about to rush in - the fruits, the nuts, and the flakes.

Please see previous post.

What incentive is there for a company to want their name on an animal?

Same incentive as a google internet advertisement.

And even if they did, what if the company isn't one that the animal's owner wants to accept?

I am explaining the concepts, not details.

How would you like your bull's name to include Tampax?

I wouldn't mind having the name Proctor and Gamble on my bull.

Or how about the teetotaler that gets sponsored by Jack Daniels?

If members wanted, they could have the last option to buy 100% of the naming rights.

And the sponsoring companies would put on all kinds of terms and conditions to protect their corporate image.

Business is business.

The participating breeders would be "selling their souls" to corporate America.

Members would only be selling partial naming rights.

Why don't you ask a chicken or pork producer how that's working out for them?

Why should I do that?

Keep thinking, HerefordSire...you might come up with something that would work, but this ain't it.

Again, I disagree but thanks for the feedback.

Brandonm22":2gm1xb7d said:
HerefordSire":2gm1xb7d said:
IF some company WANTED to put their name on an animal NOW, all they would have to do is pay a $1000 for some calf.....then pay the breed association to change the name on the registry papers. For a modest $82,000 a year, plus expenses, they could hire me fulltime to take care of the needs of their company bovine. IF they wanted to read about themself in the Hereford World, Angus Journal, Cattle Today, Alabama Cattleman, Progressive Farmer, Sports Illustrated or People Magazine all they have to do is buy an ad. The only reason why Coke, Pepsi, Budweiser (who already has something similar going on with the Clydesdales), Ford, Honda, Toyota, John Deere, Caterpillar, Kroger, Wal-Mart, Berkshire Hathaway, Goldman Sachs, Levis, Purina, etc don't own bulls NOW is that they think their advertising dollar could be better used somewhere else and/or nobody has pitched the idea.

Members pay about $15-$20 per year plus about $20 per animal. Many don't register animals. Instead of buying an animal and having to keep up with the maintenance, etc., a company might could buy the partial naming rights for 100 animals for the same amount of money. Much more exposure than you realize for just a little bit of money especially when you hit a big time bull.

HerefordSire":2dn8xjyv said:
Much more exposure than you realize for just a little bit of money especially when you hit a big time bull.[/i]

I have been in this biz for 30 years, and I couldn't list the names of 3 Limousin Bulls after Harvest Olympus, the only Santa Gertrudis bull whose name I remember is Monkey, Bodacious is the only Charbray bull I can name, Macho is the only Simmental I know by name, Sin City is the only Shorthorn I can recall at the moment, I am drawing a complete blank on Brangus's, Murray Grey's, Brafords, Main Anjous, Longhorns, Chianinas etc. I can probably come up with about ten Charolais, Red Angus (starting with Cherokee Canyon) and Beefmasters (strarting with Robert E Lee), my recall is stronger on Pinzgauers (i still get the magazine), and a lot stronger on Herefords and Angus's. Somebody who was not in this business probably can't name a bull.....Bodacious might be the only exception. Most IN this business who never subscribe to a breed magazine probably can't. About 75% of bulls marketed for A.I. turn up duds. There is either something mildly wrong with them or they just don't offer enough to be more than a flash in the pan. Nobody is going too change the name of a bull that is already very popular so you are risking your money on some showy calf and IF you are wildly successful (878 or EXT type successful) MAYBE half of the cattle industry will know it and less than 1% of the populace.

Brandonm22":367tpsie said:
HerefordSire":367tpsie said:
Much more exposure than you realize for just a little bit of money especially when you hit a big time bull.[/i]

I have been in this biz for 30 years, and I couldn't list the names of 3 Limousin Bulls after Harvest Olympus, the only Santa Gertrudis bull whose name I remember is Monkey, Bodacious is the only Charbray bull I can name, Macho is the only Simmental I know by name, Sin City is the only Shorthorn I can recall at the moment, I am drawing a complete blank on Brangus's, Murray Grey's, Brafords, Main Anjous, Longhorns, Chianinas etc. I can probably come up with about ten Charolais, Red Angus (starting with Cherokee Canyon) and Beefmasters (strarting with Robert E Lee), my recall is stronger on Pinzgauers (i still get the magazine), and a lot stronger on Herefords and Angus's. Somebody who was not in this business probably can't name a bull.....Bodacious might be the only exception. Most IN this business who never subscribe to a breed magazine probably can't. About 75% of bulls marketed for A.I. turn up duds. There is either something mildly wrong with them or they just don't offer enough to be more than a flash in the pan. Nobody is going too change the name of a bull that is already very popular so you are risking your money on some showy calf and IF you are wildly successful (878 or EXT type successful) MAYBE half of the cattle industry will know it and less than 1% of the populace.

I frequent a specific eastablishment for a drink or two every now and then. Occasionally, I will have a smoke. The waitress always hands me a book of matches. Of course the matches ends up in my pocket. I usually end up putting the matches in my cupholder in my vehicle. The advertisement costs about 5 cents for placing their logo and name on the match book cover. So far, in the last three days, I saw the advertisement three times and thought about the establishment. So, for about 1.67 cents per day, I thought of the establishment three times in the last three days.

Here is an example:

Let's say Remitall Online 122L, as a calf, was owned by a member and instead of paying registration fees, the owner entered the animal on the theoretical new association's website. Let's also say, John Deere corporation bid the price up to $100 for naming rights. The name might be John Deere Remitall Online 122L.

How many peeple in the world will think of John Deere tractors for $100?

HerefordSire":2i944jxd said:
Here is an example:

Let's say Remitall Online 122L, as a calf, was owned by a member and instead of paying registration fees, the owner entered the animal on the theoretical new association's website. Let's also say, John Deere corporation bid the price up to $100 for naming rights. The name might be John Deere Remitall Online 122L.

How many peeple in the world will think of John Deere tractors for $100?

Here is another example:

Let's say BigDinkFarms Dink 1DUD, as a calf, was owned by a member and instead of paying registration fees, the owner entered the animal on the theoretical new association's website. Let's also say, the high bid price was $1 for naming rights.

The name might be Wal-Mart BigDinkFarms Dink 1DUD.

How many peeple in the world will think of Wal-Mart for $1?

I'm so confused. :?: What, exactly, is this supposed to do to help the Hereford breed? I really can't see where starting another Hereford breed association would actually help the breed/producers. Didn't the Polled and Horned groups merge together a few years ago? The Murray Grey people split up several years ago and I doubt seriously that they're a better known breed now than at that time.

Latest posts