AGROTAIN Stabilizer

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence":vcqcyahk said:
I don't spread urea without it. Very cheap insurance.

That's kinda what I was thinking.
Is it just a blend or does all your urea have it on it?
What we used this year was a blend. It was for a push early and one a bit later.

RiverHills":1hzcwcv3 said:
callmefence":1hzcwcv3 said:
I don't spread urea without it. Very cheap insurance.

That's kinda what I was thinking.
Is it just a blend or does all your urea have it on it?
What we used this year was a blend. It was for a push early and one a bit later.

Our fertilzer dealer has a "rig" ( For lack of a better term) kinda remindes me off a iv drip. It dribbles the agrotain out on the conveyor and carried into the mixer.
You have to ask for it.

Here it's mixed in the blender. Even if your only running urea they mix it good.
If not using arrotain and just straight urea it goes right in the trunk.
It works good but I seldom use it cause it cost so much. We are usually running right in front of a rain or watering it in.
wish it was cheaper.

jedstivers":372od3vu said:
Here it's mixed in the blender. Even if your only running urea they mix it good.
It works good but I seldom use it cause it cost so much. We are usually running right in front of a rain or watering it in.
wish it was cheaper.

I think the place we get it from has it pre applied. Then we get a 50/50 mix.

Jed do use N-Serve on your ammonia anhydrous?

jedstivers":3i218pg8 said:
wish it was cheaper.
I had 54 acres of pasture spread using Nitrain, which is Loveland's version of Agrotain. It cost an extra $65 to treat the urea. That's $1.20 an acre, which doesn't seem too expensive to me.

RiverHills":3kcss9n7 said:
jedstivers":3kcss9n7 said:
wish it was cheaper.

Not Jed, but I do all preplant NH3, and use N-Serve on everything except the last tank, to clean out the toolbar, N-Serve is kinda hard on equipment.

RiverHills":37bahpvl said:
jedstivers":37bahpvl said:
wish it was cheaper.

No anhydrous here. I never have used it. All urea and AMS. Used to use some bulldog soda and AN. Loved both of those but can't get them anymore

Clodhopper":310ozw3t said:
jedstivers":310ozw3t said:
wish it was cheaper.
I had 54 acres of pasture spread using Nitrain, which is Loveland's version of Agrotain. It cost an extra $65 to treat the urea. That's $1.20 an acre, which doesn't seem too expensive to me.

It cost us more than that and even at 1.20 times three trips times 2,000 acres each trip gets to some money.

jedstivers":2ozgnxqa said:
Clodhopper":2ozgnxqa said:
jedstivers":2ozgnxqa said:
wish it was cheaper.

It cost us more than that and even at 1.20 times three trips times 2,000 acres each trip gets to some money.

I can see in your case it don't pay. You are using it when the crop is actively growing and your not applying it all at once. Kinda apples and oranges on how you are using your N(dry vs. anhydrous). There are a lot of big operation running over 10,000ac using it on every acre. They also apply it before planting or even in the fall and it needs to be there for the intire growing season.

jedstivers":1reln3ld said:
Clodhopper":1reln3ld said:
jedstivers":1reln3ld said:
wish it was cheaper.

You spread nitrogen on your pastures three times a year?

Clodhopper":3d5185x4 said:
jedstivers":3d5185x4 said:
Clodhopper":3d5185x4 said:

Was talking about crop ground in that post. However I am stepping my hay production up this year as far as quality so it will get three shots. Pasture and hay ground also get what's left over everytime we are running crops and need somewhere to get rid of the last bit.
Also not changing blends for pasture or hay. If crops aren't getting agritain nothing else will either.

That makes sense. We normally spread our pastures shortly before they take off growing in the spring, that's why we use it. Make sure it's there when it needs it right from the start.

Clodhopper":h2yex8jh said:
That makes sense. We normally spread our pastures shortly before they take off growing in the spring, that's why we use it. Make sure it's there when it needs it right from the start.

unless you have water do not see how adding nitrogen helps much, over clover, but when you have the water required and the sunlight adding nitrogen little and often is a much better way to get the grass to grow.

The old recommendation was N twice in the spring and once in the fall. Some published lb of N per acre based on % clover in the stand. Class of livestock and VOG are the other big factors.

1wlimo":18iyotbw said:
Clodhopper":18iyotbw said:

unless you have water do not see how adding nitrogen helps much, over clover, but when you have the water required and the sunlight adding nitrogen little and often is a much better way to get the grass to grow.
Water is the reason why people spread their fertilizer on pasture and winter wheat in the late stages of winter around here. We catch a freeze to spread it on, because the large majority of our springs are wet. If you wait to spread, you may be waiting until six weeks into the growing season. That's why we use the N stabilizer. I agree, multiple applications would be better to a point, but most everyone is in the field planting or tending to crops until late summer. An early fall application is not a bad idea.

jedstivers":ekgv9ok1 said:
Clodhopper":ekgv9ok1 said:
jedstivers":ekgv9ok1 said:
Was talking about crop ground in that post. However I am stepping my hay production up this year as far as quality so it will get three shots. Pasture and hay ground also get what's left over everytime we are running crops and need somewhere to get rid of the last bit.
Also not changing blends for pasture or hay. If crops aren't getting agritain nothing else will either.

If your not pulling soil samples and fertilizing accordanly your likely wasting more money then you'd spend in agrotain.