Agricultural Exemption/Property Taxes

Help Support CattleToday:

ROCKSPRINGS

Reaction score
In Texas, Does anyone know how many cows per acre you need to get an Agricultural Exemption on your property taxex. I am getting the exemption through the previous owner but don't know if I should apply for one myself.

Typically you would have to re-apply for your own exemption. The acres per cow depends on the type or quality of land you have...i.e. in our area of East Texas a native pasture or woods pasture might receive an ag-use exemption by running 1 cow per 10 or 11 acres and the improved pasture next door might require 1 cow per 3 or 4 acres.

Hope this helps.

First of all it's not really an "exemption", even though everyone refers to it as such. Technically, it is an open space valuation. In other words they don't exempt you from taxes that are due, they actually value the land lower. There is no provision in the code for the number of cows per acres. What it says is:

"Land that is currently and principally devoted to agricultural use to the degree of intensity typical for the area and has been used for agriculture or timber for at least five of the preceding seven years."

The key term is "typical for the area..." And your county extension agent is the arbitor of this. Around my area one cow on 20 acres isn't going to pass the smell test, but out in West Texas it probably would.

Also keep in mind that you don't have to have any cows on it. For instance if you or someone else is cutting hay off of it for agricultural use then you qualify. If you have any doubts contact your county extension agent.

CJ

Make SURE you sign a new ag exemption form! The ag exemption is lost when the property changes hands, so you'll need to fill out a form in your name.

Ask the appraisal district if they have guidelines to what constitutes "ag" land. It can be fruit or vegetables, crops, hay, or livestock. Depends on what county you're in.

Latest posts