aggressive mommas

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Screamers. Been there, done that. The ones I have seen usually don't kill the calf, but it happens. I had one this Spring. I checked the cows that morning and momma was screaming & hovering over a dead calf. I figured she got too rough, since the calf had a bloody mouth. That cow went to the sale barn.

I'm with TT . Everyone is different and keep what works for you . We have one 3/4 solid red longhorn cow . She raises a great calf every year . She has never been wormed , vaccinated , or gotten an ear tag . She has gone over and under our working pen , not the best but we rent this farm . She also keeps dogs and coyotes away from all the newborns , hers and the rest of the herd . Probably will die here cause we can't keep her penned long enough to haul her .

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you are worried about it sell them as pairs and make some $$. If I sold every cow that didn't act like I wanted or wouldn't follow me into the squeeze chute with ease I'd never build a herd of any size.

The longhorn cow in my avatar picture is calm as can be under most circumstances. I credit her with keeping coyotes away from calves whether or not she has a young calf herself. Anything out of the ordinary that goes on around her she is going to walk with purpose to investigate. She hasn't been through the chute in a couple of years. When we work cattle the first order of business is to get her out of the group. If not she just stands in the way and nothing goes by her and she won't budge. She raises a good calf, but there is a difference between her calf and others in that it is usually tall and lanky. Have another longhorn cow that had been dehorned. She is dog gentle except for a couple weeks after calving. She will flat out come after you if you get too close during that time. Most of her calves have been comparable to the other calves even in the top of the bunch. A couple have shown the longhorn influence within a little while of weaning.

Latest posts