Aggressive Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

kmart

Reaction score
We've got an angus/hereford cross bull we raised from a bottle. He's 2.5. He's been with steers and our other bull until we moved him to pasture with the ladies. Like somebody flipped his light switch. Acting an absolute fool. Kicks dirt nonstop, bugles/bellows like crazy. Chases us out the gates. He's runs off if you try to touch him, he's never actually charged us. He just puts on a helluva show. Any ideas? Our other bull acts nothing like this and just stares… lol

Sounds like rowdy teenager. I'd give him a few months to calm down before getting rid of him. I bought a young Brangus bull back in the fall. So far he's stayed in the bull pasture but spends most of his time staring across the fence at the girls.

We've got an angus/hereford cross bull we raised from a bottle. He's 2.5. He's been with steers and our other bull until we moved him to pasture with the ladies. Like somebody flipped his light switch. Acting an absolute fool. Kicks dirt nonstop, bugles/bellows like crazy. Chases us out the gates. He's runs off if you try to touch him, he's never actually charged us. He just puts on a helluva show. Any ideas? Our other bull acts nothing like this and just stares… lol
Please explain, "Chases us out the gates, he's never actually charged us"
If you do not think he is charging just hold your ground. If we don't see your name in the obits you're probably right.

At 2.5 is it his 1st time doing any breeding? Bulls are like men. They should chose to protect the ones they are courting. They should act defensive if there is a threat of harm. But if you turned the bull in at 2.5 for his first time ever and said have at em his testosterone is through the roof and he don't know what to do. He should calm down in 24-48 hrs. On that note I never go into a field with a bull I don't trust without a .45 on my hip. Bottle bulls are the worst bulls because they close the comfort zone gap because they think it's okay. I would never recommend using a bottle bull for a herd bull. That's just me a guy down the rd had one at 7 the bull killed him just saying, bulls aren't pets. Beware!

Is the other bull in the pasture with him and the cows? How many cows in that pasture? Is this his first time breeding?

You might want to read this current thread for additional perspective.

If you choose to keep him, write your obituary. Put stuff in it like you enjoyed time with family, loved kids and treasured your pets. Don't mention the bull or it will be a negative for the folks who don't know you and want to read and think that you were nice and smart.

Send him packing. Think about this: A new bull costs you $2500+. He runs you over, you'll be lucky if your hospital bills are $2500. Plus, you sell him and you'll have money to spend on a new one that won't come after you.

I'm the feller that wrote the other recent post about a bull. I'm gonna be sending that bull down the road. The bull in this post was said to have been raised on a bottle. That would be a non starter for me, no way I would keep a bottle raised bull. They have no fear or respect for people. Years ago I kept a bottle raised bull and thought I would just put him back and run him with the other weaned bulls. When he got around a year old he was putting on a show and would come right to you, he went down the road as feeder.

Sadly, through no real fault of his own, you're probably going to have to sell him to be on the conservative end. He won't necessarily mean to hurt you, but he damn sure can and this ain't the movies where you just get tossed over a fence. If he inadvertently muscles you down into wire or a gate or a vehicle you're gonna have something that won't move on one side and something that moves too much on the other and the potential for injuries is immense.

Note, nobody's attacking you as an individual, but bobble babies don't really make for good bulls. Even bottle fed steers kept too long can get a bad habit of trying to get up on you like they used to be allowed to do.

We've got an angus/hereford cross bull we raised from a bottle. He's 2.5
Like somebody flipped his light switch. Acting an absolute fool. Kicks dirt nonstop, bugles/bellows like crazy. Chases us out the gates. He's runs off if you try to touch him, He puts on a helluva show.
He has put you on notice, whatever happens from here on out is on you, not him.

After 30 months he is no longer a teenager. I'd suggest you start raising your next slaughter bull to replace him. I understand if you want to keep him for 1 breeding season, but be careful. The one thing I expect to change will be his running off if you try to touch him . As he ages it's easier for him to turn on you than to run.

One of the reasons that dairy bulls have a bad reputation is they are all bottle raised. Raised that way they lose their respect for humans. I would have that bull gone ASAP.
EXACTLY....
We have a young bull raised on my nurse cow... nice calf, cow prolapsed and died and son wanted to keep him a bull as totally unrelated (bought bred heifers)... he has no fear of us and not mean but a PITA and gets out all the time and will come to a bucket IF HE WANTS TO... Not a pet... but a total pain....

Exactly what others have told you... hand-reared, on bottle... he has no fear or respect for humans... regards you as one of his herd... and now he intends to assert his dominance... which may result in him killing or seriously injuring someone, as no human is a match for even an 900 pound Jersey bull.
Dairy bulls are famous for their aggressive, dangerous nature, and I don't know that they are inherently more dangerous than beef breeds - but the fact that they are removed from their dam at birth and reared in close proximity to humans is likely much more influential. Beef bulls, reared on their dams, in a pasture setting rarely display this sort of aggressive behavior.
We see similar dangerous (potentially lethal to humans) aggressive behavior from hand-reared stallions and llamas ( it is called 'berserk llama syndrome').

Opinions that he's just a 'rowdy teenager', and cautions to 'not trust' this bull fall far too short... he needs to be GONE ASAP, before he injures or kills someone!

Latest posts