age to slaughter

Help Support CattleToday:

Yup, that 15 month seems to be the target. Critters should be at that 1300 pound weight.

For medium framed Angus and Angus crosses, I our experience has been when you get over 1200 you are just adding unecessary external fat which is waste. We aim for 1150 lb and still sometimes have too much fat. We try to go by wt to some extent, but also what the signs of fat are on the live animal - fat in brisket area, and on the tail head. We also do ultrasound a couple months before slaughter.

Billy

We have been hitting the 600lbs hanging weight on steers and heiffers consistantly at 12-13 months. I was just wondering if anyone else out there has been able to consistantly get this weight at this age?

farmboy1695":zzufaqvt said:
We have been hitting the 600lbs hanging weight on steers and heiffers consistantly at 12-13 months. I was just wondering if anyone else out there has been able to consistantly get this weight at this age?

For a finished calf that would be a pretty low live weight to butcher. Of the data we got back on the last calves they ran in the high 7s to high 9s at 15 months.

The last steer I butchered hung at 800 lbs on the rail. He was 20 months old. Red Angus. One sirloin was enough for 2 adults and 3 kids (6-10 yr old kids). We didnt weigh him live, what might he have weighed live?

Latest posts