age to breed

Help Support CattleToday:

Heifers, depending on how well they are grown out can be bred from 12 months (a little early to my mind) to 14-15 months. Some breeds mature later but ours are bred to calve at 23-24 months of age. Some heifers and even some bulls are copable at 7-8 months but that's not very common.

Angus Cowman":zjc3yi66 said:
I agree with Dun one factor we used was we wanted the hfr to be at 75% of her grown body weight
1200lb cow the hfr should be 800lbs at breeding

800 lbs works well for me too.

Angus Cowman":1zy9x7dr said:
I agree with Dun one factor we used was we wanted the hfr to be at 75% of her grown body weight

Faulty calculator? 75% is 900 lbs

The rule of thumb is 66% of mature weight and that equates to 800lbs for 1200lb cows.

For British breeds you'll never go wrong if you follow good nutrition and management skills and breed heifer at minimum of 14 months AND (not OR) 750lbs.

KNERSIE":cef7sy9i said:
Angus Cowman":cef7sy9i said:

Faulty calculator? 75% is 900 lbs

The rule of thumb is 66% of mature weight and that equates to 800lbs for 1200lb cows.

For British breeds you'll never go wrong if you follow good nutrition and management skills and breed heifer at minimum of 14 months AND (not OR) 750lbs.
Thanks Harley wasn't the calculators fault forgot to turn it on :oops:
and you are correct 66% I was right on my lbs just off on percentage
Thanks for correcting me and to think math was my strong subject :lol:

My vet once told me that a heifer's pelvis continues to development after the heifer is well grown out to heifer size alone can be a deceiving tool for determining wether a heifer should be bred (don't know if that's true or not). So I've always insisted on 14-15 months regardless of whether or not their weight is in line.

Basically - what Knersie said.

Different breeds can be bred at different ages.

I turn heifers in the bull at 14 months. My neighbor with the angus bull who wrecked fence has bred some of mine as early as 9 months.

Latest posts