Age of sire?

Help Support CattleToday:

alexfarms

Reaction score
What is the youngest bull calf you ever had settle a cow? I always have kept bull calves away from cows or heifers past about 8 months and to my knowledge none of them ever settle a cow.

Had an 8 month old bull breed and 8 month old hiefer. Who says Charolais can't be early maturing???

alexfarms":3dmw9r3b said:
What is the youngest bull calf you ever had settle a cow? I always have kept bull calves away from cows or heifers past about 8 months and to my knowledge none of them ever settle a cow.

Up till very recently I would have said that I've heard stories about 8 month old bullcalves settling a cow or heifer, but never had one settle a cow before 11 months. But I just had a 20 month old commercial heifer calf completely out of season and the only possible sire is one of the bullcalves that was weaned at 8 months old. I always run weaned commercial replacement heifers with the registered cows after weaning and last year was the last spring calving season and the heifers was only with the last of the spring bullcalves for less than a week.

6-7 months. And he settled nine cows. I wouldn't have believed it other than there was no other bull on our farm and there are no other farms nearby. It was either him or the aliens I guess. We definitely didn't plan on it and were just keeping him in there til we sold him a few months later, didn't think he would be able to do anything.

A friend of mine back in high school had just bought a weaned heifer and weaned bull calf to show in FFA. Bull calf was 6 months old and heifer was 7 months old. She calved at 16 months old. :shock:

I had a real nice Bull calf 11 months old that I wanted to breed to a pretty big heifer last year. This heifer was halter broke so we dug a hole to stand her in so he'd be tall enough to mount her. She settled in one breeding to him. These are angus. He could have probably bred one sooner. But he was on feed with bulls only after weaning. We always separate after or about 205 days.