Age of bull to breed

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
What is the youngest age a bull can be put with 12 cows and do a job of breeding, I know they would have to be tall enought to reach what needs to be reached, but at what age to have enough sperm to be effective?

cowboy43":2fid08aq said:
What is the youngest age a bull can be put with 12 cows and do a job of breeding, I know they would have to be tall enought to reach what needs to be reached, but at what age to have enough sperm to be effective?

Breed of bull would come into consideration. A 12 month old brahman would be useless.. a 12 month old jersey would breed everything in three counties. ;-)

I started my new hereford cleanup bull at 15 months and he cleaned up 8 after AI no problem. He is a small framed bull and had no problem with some 6 frame cows. Wife didnt think he could do it but I got him a stool.

I have used 13-14 month old bulls a number of times. I have heard the number of one cow per month of age of the bull. I do know that if you put a young bull in with a bunch of cows (20+) the calves will be spread out more than if you use a older bull.

Due to some logistics issues we truend our 11 month old bull in with the bred cows and 6 opens. We rearanged things after month and preg checked th cows to see if anything had by a slim chance gotten bred. All 6 were bred.

I turned out a 13 month old Angus last year on a group of 30. Had 22 calves in 2 weeks.

Take it that it wasn't your gay bull, or is number 23 the moment he discovered that heifers weren't making him truly happy and he was missing something in his life? :D

TexasBred":1k452b8y said:
cowboy43":1k452b8y said:

Breed of bull would come into consideration. A 12 month old brahman would be useless.. a 12 month old jersey would breed everything in three counties. ;-)

Truer word's have never been spoken.
Typically your English breeds can go into service younger. I said can I prefer to let them be at least 14 month's.
Hereford, Angus at 12 months usually have no problem's for 10 or 12 cow's.

Commercialfarmer":3mgr4t2e said:
Take it that it wasn't your gay bull, or is number 23 the moment he discovered that heifers weren't making him truly happy and he was missing something in his life? :D
:lol: nope it was another bull. The one that broke his pecker 10 days into the breeding season this year.

cowboy43":byoqc7np said:

I've turned them in at 14months with that many open before... and they may have had to park a girl on a hill, but they got it done.

We bred a 10 month old bull to a cow last year. We AI everything, and the cow was not sticking. Our only option was the bull calf, so we put her in the low side (both were halter broke) and him on the hill. He got the job done ;)

Latest posts