age of bull to breed

Help Support CattleToday:

TMRwife

Reaction score
Will a bull calf born in early spring of 2007 be ready for next breeding season next spring (hereford)? We have heard that a good stout bull around 800 lbs should be alright.

Have him breeding soundness Exam checked and let him at the ladys.

As Dun said, have a BSE done on him. If he passes and the vet tells you he is in good shape to turn out, fine.

Although, IMO, even if he's a long yearling, I wouldn't turn an 800 lb bull out with cows. Even if you're just wanting a cow freshener. You'd be better off to cut him, sell him and put some money with that to buy yourself a decent breeding age bull. Feel free to correct me if I read your post wrong.

It may take him a day or two to figure it all out like all virgin bulls. We have used yearling bulls before. If they are with an older bull he teaches them about how to "impress" the ladies. With our first year heifer bull it took him about a week and a half to figure it out, but this year he went to town.
I would say that if you like him and plan to use him go ahead.

El_Putzo":33ey09ny said:
Although, IMO, even if he's a long yearling, I wouldn't turn an 800 lb bull out with cows. Even if you're just wanting a cow freshener. You'd be better off to cut him, sell him and put some money with that to buy yourself a decent breeding age bull. Feel free to correct me if I read your post wrong.

I'm a bit confused by your response. She did not state that their bull weighed 800 lbs, only that they had heard it was ok to use an 800 lb bull to breed with. No pictures were posted, so why would you recommend cutting what might be a very good bull calf? :?

TMRwife - although it carries risks, we have used yearling bulls that met our level of quality to breed cows when the situation warranted it. I do not believe I would do it on a regular basis, or if I had any other alternative - especially with a high number of cows - because it places a good deal of stress on a developing bull.

TMRwife":ajul4r4d said:
Will a bull calf born in early spring of 2007 be ready for next breeding season next spring (hereford)? We have heard that a good stout bull around 800 lbs should be alright.

Generally a bull born in the spring of 2007 would be ready for the 2008 breeding season. A breeding soundness exam will let you know if he is fertile. A rule of thumb for using a young bull is he can handle 1 female for every month of his age beginning at 12 months of age. I.E., a 12 month old bull should be able to breed 12 cows, and 18 month old bull should be able to breed 18 cows. Mileage may vary.

What frame score are you talking about? At frame score 5, any bull old enough to breed wouldn't be considered a 'good stout bull' at 800 lbs. A bull born in the spring would be 14-15 months old at the next breeding season, unless you're breeding miniatures I don't think 800 lbs at 14 months is an acceptable size.

TMRwife":m36fek2z said:
Will a bull calf born in early spring of 2007 be ready for next breeding season next spring (hereford)?

We sell most of our Angus bulls for breeding as yearlings, with a vet's BSE. But, and it's a big BUT, they've been fed very well. They'll weigh 11-1300 lbs as yearlings. If we turned those same calves out on grass instead of sending them to a feed test, I'd not expect them to weigh that much. IMO, the answer to your question depends on how the bull has been grown out.

We have heard that a good stout bull around 800 lbs should be alright.

I'd really question that one. There are lots of "good stout" bull calves weaned at 800 lbs. But they're not necessarily ready to breed cows.

msscamp":18ywigeg said:
El_Putzo":18ywigeg said:

I'm a bit confused by your response. She did not state that their bull weighed 800 lbs, only that they had heard it was ok to use an 800 lb bull to breed with. No pictures were posted, so why would you recommend cutting what might be a very good bull calf? :?

I may have read her post wrong. Although it looks as if Frankie and Chris also interpreted her post to mean that the bull would be near 800 lbs by the time of the breeding season next spring. That is the part that I questioned. As I said in my original post, please correct me if I misunderstood the question.

I have questions kind of down this road. I have this bull calf well for 4 more days anyway. He was born in late april and hit the scales just under 600. He was a bad boy and will not stay in the fences which is why he is so heavy the field ext door is much better thats why he out grew everyone. Decided he is goinng tohurt soomething getting out every morning and night. So making a trade for his mother which should be bred he was her 2nd calf and the first was a good one. I am also taking a 500 pound heifer that is from her sister and they were both great milkers.

Here is the question the bull that would have should have better have covered the cow was put iin the pasture at 13-14 months old at probally 900-1000 pounds and stayed for 4 months. If the calf from them turns out to be less than perfect how strong will any of the potential in perfections be for the calf that will come when I breed her in 09. Or will getting a good bull make up for any of the problems.

How about the deal I give to man 600# bull and I get bred cow and 500 I get real nice 500# heifer calf and I pay $575 . Since the cow I am getiing was the mother of the bull I know she is a good one and the calf is fro the sister of the cow also a good milker and momma. What ya think geed deal or a square deal???

Sounds like you just paid around $1150-1200 for a 3in1 not a bad deal. Not a steal either.

Latest posts