Age limit to butcher

Help Support CattleToday:

lynnmcmahan

Reaction score
I was talking to two people who should know about butchering a five or six year old bull for hamburger. They said that it was against the law to butcher a bull for human consumption that was older than 30 months.
What's the facts. Thanks

All cattle processed over 30 months of age must adhere to the BSE OTM rules and the SRM must be removed form the animal. Any inspected abattoir facility will be able to help you.

Not illegal, what do you think happens to the old dairy cows. There are regs concerning it. Even a knacker has to have special equipment to render cattle over 30 months.

Nope not against the law I butcher a couple old cows a year .. I have to pick the head ad spine up and dispose if it my self ...

May not be against the law but may be not the best meat. Why not just sell him and buy some better hamburger? Jmho. Jim

Because you can turn it to hamburger and make 1000 dollars off of a cow that would sell for .450 at the sale . Which will end up as burger anyway ...

JSCATTLE":1tsyufii said:
Nope not against the law I butcher a couple old cows a year .. I have to pick the head ad spine up and dispose if it my self ...
How do you dispose of the head & spine?

Thirty months around here. I think some accept older animals, but they charge more because they have to completely clean everything before an older one is processed and again afterwards.

Our butcher told me the reason there is a 30 month old rule is because of bse or mad cow . Not so much because of human consumption but because the company that takes the left overs uses the remains for several reason including animal feed ..

JSCATTLE":2mtr80lw said:
Our butcher told me the reason there is a 30 month old rule is because of bse or mad cow . Not so much because of human consumption but because the company that takes the left overs uses the remains for several reason including animal feed ..
That's the reason for the skull and spine restrictions.

expensive hobby":1b7b1sj2 said:
What do you think happens to the old grandma cows that we dump at the sale barn?
I think they might end up in a hot dog or a can of potted meat. Just wonder how they get 'em in there if it's illegal to butcher them ;-)

lynnmcmahan":2iljme6b said:
expensive hobby":2iljme6b said:
What do you think happens to the old grandma cows that we dump at the sale barn?
I think they might end up in a hot dog or a can of potted meat. Just wonder how they get 'em in there if it's illegal to butcher them ;-)
It's NOT illegal