age bulls start breeding

Help Support CattleToday:

deb@lazysp

Reaction score
We are starting our longhorn herd and among our purchases was a 10-month old bull calf. How old does he have to be to start breeding?

Glad to see someone new with Longhorns. We usually put our bulls to work with a few females at about 12 months old.

They can breed at 12 months but we always wait until 15 months to turn them in with a few heifers. My grand father always said that if you start using a bull too young you'll stunt his growth and I believe that is true. Even at 15-16 months old they still have alot of maturing to do. We usually start them out on just a few head of cows or heifers. If I was to use him at a year old I would be cautious and only breed two to five head to start with. By the time he is two he can handle alot more cows-15 to 20.

All the bulls we choose to use as early as a year only get 5 or so heifers. Plus, if they are going to be used at 12mo that means they are a show bull and will still get their show feed, as to not stunt their growth.

We semen test our new bulls at about 14 months. If it looks good and the bull is not sold or a sale isn't pending then we will test breed him with couple of heifers. A new young bull should probably be limited to 5 or so breedings the first season he is in service.

Rustler9":24v53c2k said:
My grand father always said that if you start using a bull too young you'll stunt his growth and I believe that is true.

Why would breeding heifers or cows stunt his growth?

I would assume that since he would be spending time with the cows and not spending all of his time eating he may not grow out as well? What if you just put him with the heifers for 60 days then took him off, he should still grow out well.

If you turn a young bull out with a large herd of cows he will attempt to breed them all, won't eat well and will basically use up all energy that he would normally use to finish maturing. It's pretty much the same as breeding a heifer too young. It's hard for a young heifer to have to grow a fetus and nourish a calf when she herself is not mature. Her body has not finished growing before she goes into production.

I know it's old but it's one of my favorites and besides, how often does a chance like this show up…..

Two bulls, an old one and a young one on a hilltop looking down on a large herd of cows…..

Young Bull: "Hey man, Look at all those cows! Let's run down and breed a couple!"

Old Bull: "Why don't we walk down and breed 'em all."