age and source verification

Help Support CattleToday:

bklogs

Reaction score
How big of a group of calves does a person need to have to realize benifits from an age and source program at a sale barn? Enough benefit to justify the expense and time

IMO, you will not see a difference at the salebarn unless your reputation precedes your cattle. People lie so most buyers assume they were not treated. However, many salebarns have special sales or video sales where this makes a huge difference - of course you have to be willing to stand behind the cattle too. But to do this you need uniform groups of around 50,000 lbs. It will make about $150 cwt difference in my area.

what Jo said.....
either that or consign to a local cattlemens assn sale where they assemble and precondition trailer load lots.

I agree and disagree with the previous. At the local weekly sales you won;t see a dime but if you enter them in one of the wean/vac deals and have a tag in them from your source/age verify organization you'll see that dime plus difference a pound. There are always enough calves at those sales for the buyers to put pots together and they must figure if you're going to go through the age/source verify process that you have done the wean/vac protocols. We sell our calves with a state dept of ag tag and certificates from pfizer for the health side of things.

Out here it only matters for about one month when the grass dries out and if you tell them what they've had and how long they're weaned when you haul them in you'll get right at the same price as the age and sourced cattle.

I always wonder about those programs. I mean they get the information from me. So a buyer wont trust me to give the correct information about the age of the calves but he will trust a program that got all their information from me? How does that make sence?

wasn't the question age and source ?
not a vac program.
my understanding a&s qualifies for export to countries where they have must bse guidelines