AgBoost EPD's

Help Support CattleToday:

elkwc

Reaction score
There has been a lot of discussion about EPD's on this forum. Has anyone used the Ag Boost EPD's. I know some reputable breeders I respect who are using them now and feel they offer the best choice for their operation. Know a few commercial breeders who have researched their EPD's and feel they have the potential to offer something beneficial to the commercial breeder unlike the current breed options.

You can do what they say they do threw igenity for 29.00 a head. I would suspect they are running Igenity chips in there programs as Igenity builds most of the chips in the animal dna industry.

Red Bull Breeder said:
You can do what they say they do threw igenity for 29.00 a head. I would suspect they are running Igenity chips in there programs as Igenity builds most of the chips in the animal dna industry.

I know those who have used both Ag Boost and the breed programs as breeders and buyers have found Ag Boost way more useful and beneficial. Many times it is how the data is analyzed not what tool is used to gather it.

I don't think you quite understand what i mean. https://genomics.neogen.com/en/igenity-beef these people will do a dna profile thats the same thing thing as the agboost.

Red Bull Breeder said:
I don't think you quite understand what i mean. https://genomics.neogen.com/en/igenity-beef these people will do a dna profile thats the same thing thing as the agboost.
[/quot

Have you used Ag Boost or just being an arm chair QB with no actual exposure to it? I ask this because good cattlemen who have used the systems themselves in their own operations say there are big differences. Also they say you customize with Ag Boost to what works for you and your customers. I have also talked to commercial breeders who state that they have found the Ag Boost numbers to be the most representative of real world results.

I would like to hear from anyone who has experience with Ag Boost. My interest is I would like to find some numbers I feel provide numbers I could have some faith in.

I have not used the agboost. I do have dna profiles on most of my cattle and bulls. Did you look at the link i posted. They are the largest dna testing company in the world and make most of the computer chips used in the industry. Some dna stuff does not match up with what i see in my herd. I do believe the carcass numbers may be pretty close.

I am also interested in experience from actual users of AgBoost. Anybody??

Hope it works. A number of "named herds" are chasing the combo of high $M and high $C. The two seem to be opposites as one is selecting heifers as replacements and one is selecting heifers for the feedlot. But bigger is better, AAA wouldn't be the same without a hot fad for extreme values of something so the show must go on. I spent some time on a sale catalog that boasts of the high $M/$C combo. I did some sorting on things that matter and less than 1% were worth considering. I do not see that the indexes are improving the breed when foot scores, SC and REA are still poor and BWs are such a wide range. I hope somebody can make it work. It will not be me.

This one is definitely an outlier for us. We purchased her dam as a weaner calf at the dispersal sale and bred her to Basin Safe Deposit as an experiment. Calf is AAA 20439115. We are putting her in the Wyoming Select Female Sale in November hoping she gets some interest. I think her dam stuck AI this spring to S Right Time 7861.

Latest posts