Ag Student needs help

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hi my name is Jeff. I know livestock very well, and have won many judging events including the Texas state livestock judging. There's nothing I want more than to learn more and share that knowledge with others. I'm trying to attend Sam Houston State University in Huntsville, TX to be an Ag Teacher and as some of you know it ain't cheap. I was wondering if anyone knew of any associations, co-ops, etc...that offer scholarships or any financial aid to college students pursuing an agricultural or animal science education degree. If anyone has any information please e-mail me at [email protected]. I'm just trying to preserve the future of agriculture. Thank Ya'll[/url]

Good for you, we need more good ag teachers.
I would think the best place to start is with your Ag teacher, then check with other members of the faculty. Colleges will also have financial advisers that can help. Also, you could talk with college students who are taking agriculture related courses. They would be more in the loop on how to get money. Even if they can afford it, they'll know the ones that couldn't and what kind of aid they are getting. Grants are another thing you could apply for. Don't get discouraged if you find yourself in that group where you're not quite "poor" enough to get help, but not well off enough to pay for it. There is a way if really look for it.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.

Good for you!

Also...don't discount the issue of getting a part-time job to help pay your way in college. I had numerous similar jobs, even while in graduate school. Use your imagination!

With "help" often hard to find on any farm/ranch operation, I'm sure someone could use an extra hand...plus give you much more hands-on experience.

At your stage of the work/education game, promote yourself as a "learner" and not as an "advisor."

Even with my Ph.D., it is amazing how much I still need to learn from the "old-timers" and others who have "been there...done that!"

Good luck and hang in there!

Jeff,
I was an Animal Science major and I'm working on my masters in AG ED now. I dont know about Texas, but in Georgia there is a shortage of teachers and certain schools will actually PAY your tuition if you agree to work with them when you get through. There are lots of scholarships out there, contact the Ag Ed department at Sam Houston and they should be able to point you in the right direction or send you some info/apps. There is a website i frequent http://www.teachgeorgia.org that answers a lot of my questions about certification routes, etc. i would assume there is a similar site for the state of texas. i agree with the previous poster about getting a part time job b/c every little bit helps whether you gain money or just experience. good luck.

Jeff,

all the major livestock shows in texas have scholarship programs. check w/your ag teacher or advisor about houston, san antonio, or ft worth. i know houston has both 2-yr go-texan & 4 yr scholarships.......not sure about the others.